• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some advice on a 633csi

jscaptura1

I don't know what version of Motronic (L-Jetronic?) came on the '82's. But the later Motronic cars, for lack of spark you may suspect the ecu or a function of the ecu. Grounds are important as well. As is the crank position sensor. Also the on-board computer (again my knowledge gets sketchy post '84) has a defeat feature/code which will withhold the spark.

Bimmerforums E24 board, as well as big coupe group will be very helpful for you.

Some links:

http://web.archive.org/web/20120617025610/http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Electrical.html

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/index.php

Later car, but: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2169363-NO-SPARK-New-owner-please-help!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

My guess is that you won't like the way it drives as-is and would have to spend some $$ to get it to ride the way you'd want it.  Again, just my opinion, but these cars are kinda "blaaa" to me unless its a 635csi Euro with a nice suspension and wheels/tires.  Get it running, clean it up and sell it for profit, then use the money on some of your other projects.  Learning about that drive train will probably come in handy in the future anyway.  :)

Dan

Check the main relay 1st!!!!  If I remember correctly it is on the firewall just above the brake booster.  They were notorious when the cars were new.  You can just install a jumper between pins 30 & 87 (you might also just give it a light tap, this was the flat raters fix for a dead car in the parking lot) 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

Thanks for all of the suggestions & I am getting used to the differences between this and the 1600.  I have been searching for, finding, and trying to clean the contacts on the different relays.  Still no luck.  One thing I did find under the dash was a big yellow box that that an adjustment for sensitivity.  I am wondering if that is a anti-theft device and has possibly shut the car off.  Will send a pic of that shortly.  If I have no luck over the weekend I will be headed to my mechanic to see if he can help.  I'm just trying to do it on my own first.  Thanks again.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Mysterious yellow box and what I think is the main relay next to what I think is the ecu in the glove box.

IMG_20160827_092334837.jpg

IMG_20160827_092441981.jpg

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I've had E28s (535i) for >20 years, but not an E24 or that early a model.  That yellow box might be the "Johnson box" I've heard about but never have encountered.  Main relay is usually under the hood next to the fuse box, along with fuel pump, O2 sensor, & horn relays.  The ETM at wedophones should provide your answer.

Bigcoupe is a good resource, but unlike 2002 owners most E24 owners are "checkbook mechanics" - no offense meant to those owners that do enjoy getting their hands dirty!

MyE28.com has a number of E24 owners that post there, as the E24 has many similarities to the E12 & E28.  Swing by & introduce yourself!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Yellow box is made by the Dana Co. My money is cruse control. 

Find that maine relay! Tap, hit, smack, or replace with any relay you have laying around that has the same pins on the bottom. You have changed the fuel right? What battery source are you using? 80's fi cars (others too) are sensitive to voltage while starting. As in there may be enough voltage to crank over the motor but not enough to light up the ecu and other stuff. 

New battery!

john

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Aftermarket cruise,  The turn signal stalk is not original and has the cruise on it.  Will get a new main relay as I whacked the old one and no start.  Battery is about 7 years old, held a good charge and cranks really fast but will change soon.  Thanks again

I can't remember if these have a gear reduction starter or not. If they do, they will spin normally on almost 9 volts. Tried a jump start?

John

Edited by Harv

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades