• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Departing Dilemma

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm confused now.. is '74 always the cutoff date.. or is it the 30-year rule???

..and yes, I've thought of the VIN thing (seriously), but I'm worried that, if I get in a wreck, I'll be (with lack of a better term) assed-out

Guest Anonymous

Charlie,

You have a beautiful (appears to be Malaga) '02 and, from a guy who has been out of '02s for 15 yrs and just got back in, you should hold on to the '02 at ALL COST -

*****option #2!!!!!!! (does selling a wrecked '72 tii in 1988 for $400 with a true CR 5spd and a 4:10 LSD and 40 DCOEs qualify me as despondent? yes.) whatever you have, it will take far more $$$$$$$$ and time to equate.

BTW,

I have a malaga 73 '02 with alot of chrome removed by PO, and I would love to see any and every picture you can send of your sweet ride to help me decide whether to restore the chrome or leave it off...

TIA.

Guest Anonymous

chances are it'll never be noticed in the gazillion cars running around LA. If it is, just park it until 2005...

Mike (25 yrs and exempt in Ohio!)

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

key- will you be parking the 02 in a private, off road place? if so, you can probably get away with the Oregon plates( kept current, of course,) until the 76 becomes CA exempt. Use a car cover all the time! If there is any chance of people seeing the car, the cover will help hide the tags and protect the nice paint. You will probably get busted if you park it where people/cops can see it regularly. they will notice the passage of time and the lack of ca. tags. Or,leave the car in Oregon with a trusted friend until next year. OR, take the risk on the visual, get it running clean, and make it a ca. car, although smog II is tough. If you can find a parking garage that is locked and safe and keep a cover on it always you should be able to bring it to LA ,use it sparingly, and wait the year. Every time you go out,after the 10 days,or whatever the law is, you take a risk of a ticket and mandatory registration and all the mess an officer wants to lay on you. At least there are so many cars in LA, you will not stand out as much as in a small ca. town. Keep your car, though- it looks really nice, you know it well, and your situation is not impossible- no reason to start over with an unknown 2002. Welcome to the fruit and nut state.