• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VIN Decoding

Djthom

Hi All

I'm hunting for a 2002tii project and need some help with a prospect.  I found a '73 tii chassis number 2763973.  The engine has the fuel injection fitted.  However, the engine number the owner sent me seems to be 1512567 (photo attached).  From the books I have referenced, that seems to be a non-US 1966 1600-2.  Am i looking t the right numbers?  Seems hard to believe a US tii would be retrofitted with a non-US 1600-2 block.

thanks in advance

Darren

Engine Number.jpeg

Darren,

I'm not much help.  Yes, I see VIN 1512567 being a 3/66 -12/66 1600-2, if I put the number into the VIN decoder of the BMW 2002 Club of Columbia.

http://www.bmwclasicos.com/vin.php

There was not a separate set of U.S.-spec VIN's for the early cars, because the differences were relatively minor and superficial, so even the U.S.-imported cars show up as "Euro" in the BMW database.  And narrowing the 2002 Club of Columbia's date range, the 151xxxx cars did not appear until November '66:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

so the original VIN 1512567 would have probably been assigned to a December '66 car.  But I'm certainly not convinced this is a 1.6-liter engine from that car.

The engine number boss also, generally, shows the block's displacement in liters: obviously a tii has "2,0" on its block.  This boss appears to say "1,8" on its block, above the VIN.  And unlike virtually every '02 block I've seen, the "1.8" is viewable from the same direction as the engine number: it's generally oriented 180 degrees from the engine number.  I don't have a particularly good photo of the engine number boss on my '73, but I'll show you what I've got (two photos below).  "2,0" is rotated 180 degrees from "+ 2762757 +".  But my block is not exactly a model of engine stamping technique!

If I put 1512567 in RealOEM.com -- which is not set up solely for '02's -- I get an M20 engine from a '81-'94 e30, specifically a 323i.  So that doesn't seem right either!

I'm also not accustomed to seeing that random "0" preceding the 7-digit VIN.  What's that about? Could this be a replacement block for a 1.8-liter e21?  Many BMW 4-cylinder blocks have dates on their right sides, in approximately the vicinity of number 2 cylinder.  Maybe a photo of the right side of the block in that area would shed some light on the block's date, and hence its origins -- if that even matters.  It is not the car's original block.

Someone here, however, will recognize its source.

And if you purchase the car, and wish to return it to a more "original" configuration, I'm confident you can easily find a good tii block (or even a non-tii block, drilled for the Kugelfischer oil drain).

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I don't recall seeing a factory-installed (i.e. OEM to the specific car) with a zero ahead of the seven digit VIN/motor number; every one I've seen has just the seven digits--i.e 2763973, not 02763973.  

Also the motor number is the only thing stamped on that boss...unless the engine is a factory rebuild; then there are several numbers/letters.  The extra digits stamped above the 8 digit number would lead one to believe this is a rebuilt engine...but it's unlikely that the factory would use as a motor number one that is identical to an originally installed motor--in this case a 66-67 1600.

Wonder if the block was rebuilt by an outside commercial rebuilder who just happened to assign that number.  Can you ask the owner if he has paperwork regarding engine work, as the motor number on his car doesn't match the car's VIN, which it should, and that the number he sent you is from a 66-67 1600...

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

21 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Isn't there supposed to be a matching number on top of the steering wheel as well?

There is on U.S.-spec cars, Nick, but the sole issue here -- at least at this stage -- appears to be "the block", which isn't marked like a typical '02 2-liter engine.  I suppose the O.P. is wondering, "Is this as-yet-un-identified block a workable temporary or permanent solution to the car's missing original block?"

The chassis VIN, 2763973, sounds like a May 1973 car to me.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)