• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*SOLD* Full AC System w/ Interior Panels

zcenterb

11 hours ago, ray_ said:

You could run this system with R-134A. The compressor oil would need to be swapped out to make it compatible with 134a in my opinion. Have a look here http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,515827,515949

Cheers,

+1

Agreeing with Ray -- of course -- but allow me to take an additional step, or two.  These ancient systems can and regularly run on both R-12 and R-134a -- obviously not at the same time.  You should, however, be moving to a larger parallel-flow design condenser to compensate for the lower efficiency of R-134a, if that is your choice.  But the nose of an '02 is very....space-constrained, and you will be cutting out hood supports/braces to accommodate the size of condenser you would LOVE to have.  Rob Siegel devoted a chapter to '02 A/C in his first book, ...Hack Mechanic.  I chose to stick with R-12 because I wanted the appearance of the original condenser and auxiliary fan (and hood braces, etc.).

But as to compressors, even I could not bring myself to use my 1976 reciprocating York compressor.  And I find it almost impossible to believe that anyone with knowledge of A/C systems would, at this point in time, consider installing a 40+ year reciprocating compressor in an '02. Get a new rotary Sanden compressor and buy a new compressor mount from hobiedave.  If you are AT LEAST AS NUTTY AS I,  you can still save that reciprocating York compressor (a.k.a., boat anchor), and it's awfully-heavy mount for that day -- 35 years from now -- when your mint, looks-fresh-from-the-factory '02 absolutely MUST have an original-style compressor to satisfy the concours judges!  ?

Although I say this pretty much tongue in cheek, I will point out that if you own a '70 Hemi Cuda, or other American muscle car of similar credentials, and it is an air conditioned example, you are very likely running an overhauled 40+ year-old compressor very similar in design to the York reciprocating compressor!  OK, maybe the Hemi option did not also permit A/C -- although it may have -- but you get my point.  And there are shops that have been overhauling these old compressors, although not for '02's...I suspect.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Currently pending, but just so anyone interested is absolutely clear, I have never personally experienced this system running... The PO told me it worked before he let the car sit untouched for 5 years. He was a very knowledgable and passionate enthusiast but still, just so everyone is aware. Thanks.