• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Rocker Panel trim rubber strip to metal attachment

rmoore007ri

I like WURTH rubber cement, buy a new can, it has a shelf life, (goes bad after a year or two). And do yourself another favor, buy some 3M Adhesive Cleaner, good for more that just cleaning adhesive, pretty paint friendly and I think worth the price. Check auto body shop supply stores.

10 hours ago, Guy Cocquyt said:

The link didn't load.

Odd - worked when I previewed it yesterday.  The link is to a May 1 post by 02dag titled Rocker trim rubber seal.  I put "rocker rubber" in the search box & it was the 4th result, but there are plenty of others with additional information.

I fixed the link in my previous post, hopefully!

Edited by John_in_VA

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I am glad this topic is up again, my 02 did not come with any rocker panels as well, so I have no idea where to even start. I have a few links I wil add below from searching on the faq, but none really have the sequence of how to install new panels and rubber from the get. 

I just bought the panels and install kit from blunt, and I am found some old rubber strips I am cleaning up. 

image.jpeg

Do the clips attach to the car or the trim? Where do the 2 bigger metal clips go?

I assume the white clips go into these black clips already on the rockers?

image.jpeg

This has nice pics of the trim attached if you scroll down a bit: http://www.my2002tii.com/2006/june2006/index.htm

Here are some other links:

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (owned 10 years)

A few steering wheels

3 hours ago, JohnP_02 said:

I assume the white clips go into these black clips already on the rockers?

image.jpeg

Nope - the metal trim clips onto/over that black clip, in a perfect world.  My black clips are ancient, and they held the trim firmly in place back then.  I've read accounts of the newer version not holding the stainless rocker trim as securely.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Take a small punch - tap the pin in the center of the old black clip through the clip - then pull the body of the clip off.

Put your new white ones in and tap the pin until it is flush -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indy02