• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 BMW 2002 Only 38k Original Miles! 76 coupe - $14000

Tsingtao_1903

Hmmm....

Only 38K miles and they had to swap out the carpet and the seats?  Or did they swap out the carpet and door cards?  I've seen late '74 Anthrazitgrau cars with black interiors but all the '76's I've seen thus far have had beige interiors (this car is only 6 cars from my '76 [VIN 2742541] so it might have even been manufactured the same day: April 23, 1976).  Either way, things have been swapped.

And it must have been a rough 38K.  My interior is holding up nicely at 105K: original carpets, door cards, seats, and seat covers.  I'm afraid I'm having my doubts about the Anthrazitgrau car's original mileage.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Seats and steering wheel from '73 or older car!

Seats for this car should be beige velour if that low mileage.

I have a Southern '76 Anthrazitgrau, VIN 2744059 that may be for sale shortly that is very nice. 

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car

5 hours ago, SaharaX2 said:

Seats and steering wheel from '73 or older car!

Seats for this car should be beige velour if that low mileage.

Well...the steering wheel is certainly round taillight era, '73 and older.  But the front seats are just as certainly '75-'76 frames although they have replacement vinyl covers.  '75-'76 seats -- which are identical to early e21 standard seats -- have recliners (side hinges) covered with plastic fascia panels, as here, and, even more distinctively, head rest supports that are closely spaced, under the headrests rather than "outriggers".

The vinyl-with-cloth seats only appeared in a relatively small portion of '75-'76 U.S.-spec cars, commencing just after BMW NA assumed the sole importer role from Hoffman Motors.  And only the center portion of those seats, the pleated area generally upholstered in perforated vinyl, received cloth on those cars (in contrast to the Euro-spec-only Lux version available outside the U.S. in late 1974 and 1975 models, which used two different types of cloth on the entire seat face).

Below, from my '76 and from the '75-'76 U.S. brochure, is the more common all-vinyl interior on U.S.-spec cars.  The cloth portion of the vinyl-with-cloth '75-'76 interiors did not age gracefully, sadly, leaving us with few good examples today of the vinyl-with-cloth seats.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys - new to the forum.  I drove this car a couple months ago when they were asking 18k.  The re-paint is "ok", looks pretty good but if you look real close you can tell.  Color matches nicely.  The car drives surprisingly well. Tight steering, suspension is nice and the shifter feel is nice and tight, so it makes the car feel solid and new drivingwise.  What I don't understand is, the engine leaks like a sieve.  Lots of oil underneath it.  I've only driven a few 2002's in my life so I'm no expert, but have driven countless E28's so hopefully I'm not a total hack.  IMHO the way it drove made me wonder if it is a pretty low mileage car, but the leaky engine makes me wonder.  And I'm surprised by the pictures posted of the auction - is that really the same car?  Also, +1 on the incorrect seats and low-budget replacement carpets. 

Mark

Carpet and seats replaced by 38,000 miles?  I'm not buying that line!  If the speedometer and odometer have been working continuously since new -- which would be relatively rare in the '02 world -- it might be only 138,000 miles!

And, hey, if we assume 40-year-old speedometers are always on their first revolution, then my '76 only has 3,000 miles on it, and I've at least got the original interior to prove that!  ?

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

Right.  My first thought was the odo had broke at some point, but it still turned when I drove it, so either they repaired it (probably not likely), it's been replaced (maybe?), it has turned over or it's real.  Anyhow, FWIW the car drove really solid, cornered nice and shifted really nice.  I think it may have had new Bilstein's which probably helped with the handling.  But again, the motor was pretty leaky for 38k miles.

Kind of bugs me because the dealer made it sound like THEY bought it from the original owner who "had it re-painted", but obviously had no idea the seats and carpets were non original.  And either didn't know or didn't say it was someone who bought it from auction and repainted/repaired it.

Mark,

A used car dealer that didn't fully and accurately disclose?  I'm shocked, simply shocked!  ?

And it's funny that you mentioned new shock absorbers.  In 2013, my '76, at 37 years old and with 100K miles on it, didn't have dried out, rotted bushings, didn't clunk or knock, but was a little "boaty". Replacing the four shocks, with Bilsteins, solved that and it drove magnificently.  Now, however, the subframes and suspension are off for the "Big Re-Paint" so I'm replacing the bushings simply because its already mostly dis-assembled.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

• 2 weeks later...