• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CA cars in the Netherlands

02Les

Wow! So now they are being taken back to Europe, reducing the inventory here in the USA!

This is just going to make them rarer and jack up the price here...

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

The issue is, very few decent 2002's exist in Deutchland any more. Road salt, rust and strict TUV road worthiness inspections have taken there toll on cars. In fact, your rarely see old cars on the roads anymore in Germany. In 2008, while working in Stuttgart, I went to the German E12/E28 treffen (meeting) in Bavaria near Mindleheim. Talking to the German E12/E28 club president, he estimated that there are probably less than a 1000 E12's left in Germany and a lot of them are project cars. If you want to go see old cars in Germany, go to the Nurburgring Historic races in August. I've seen US spec cars at the vintage car corrals at Nurburgring and talking to the owners, it's cheaper to buy a US spec car and import them back to Germany than pouring money into a rust bucket.  Prices on early Porsche 911's have skyrocketed in the last few years, Euro buyers are coming to the US to buy 911's because they all have rusted away.  Now they are coming over to buy our 2002's...

In 2004, I was a contractor working at Ramstein Air Base in Germany for several months.  I wanted to bring back an early Euro spec BMW at the end of my gig. Doing some research, I discovered that early Euro spec BMW's were basically in two basic categories, very nice (restored) and way out of my price range or total project cars, i.e. bottomless money pits; so I passed. Three months after I returned back to the states, I found a 70 Euro spec BMW E3 2800 on the streets of the SFV area of Los Angles for $300 that was rust free, imported into CA in the early 70's. 
http://www.coupeking.com/listings/2800-bavaria-e3/    If you want to bring back a Euro spec car, look for a car in France, Italy, Spain, i.e. warmer climates where they don't dump salt on the roads in the winter. Better yet, look around for that mythical 02 barn find that's close to you.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner