• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

jrkoupe

for all you period seat freaks

this is about one of the most desired period recaros around..........

for an 02 guy, the turbo seat or the unicorn sport seat may be more desired......but as an aftemarket seat, this baby is da bomb...I walked away from many at 550 each.........geeeez.

here is a set redone...5600 euros....jus sayin

oops......I am not selling them..they  are not mine....

want them?......... message me.......I think the forum may be off limits to see the ad.....not sure.

recaro 1_zps6g65vido.jpg

Edited by jrkoupe
  • Like 1

Definitely nice seats! But why aren´t the darts in same positon on left and right? At that price I´d expect that to be correct, no?

With black porsche-esque leatherette they might even sell better than with the beige leather they have now.

Best regards, Lars.

• Like 3

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Well, I´m german...  :rolleyes:

Pleats, darts, seams, pipes - people here on the FAQ have already used all of these words for it and my dictionary told me dart or tuck as a translation for the german "Abnäher". But now I think I know better.

Best regards, Lars.

• Like 2

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.

Recaro Idealsitz S, '72-'73

Immensely comfortable, quite supportive (for a seat that is also not overly "restrictive" like some bucket and racing seats), and light in weight.  I'm guessing, based on the color, the pair for sale may have been re-done for a 911, by a not-so-high-end upholstery shop, based on the discrepancies to which Lars points.

The two examples shown below -- not for sale -- are not a true pair:  both are left-hand seats and one was largely recovered years ago.  I'm nearly two years into a restoration by now but still have plenty of distance to cover!  They are intended as period-appropriate aftermarket seats for my '73.  (But actually were very rarely seen in '02's back in the day because they were generally above the pay grade of an '02.)

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The photos of your seats saved on my computer are just named "Sackgeil (1, 2, 3...)" which means something like f...g awesome, Steve. B)

Best regards, Lars.

Já nevím, možná zítra.

3 hours ago, LarsAlpina said:

The photos of your seats saved on my computer are just named "Sackgeil (1, 2, 3...)" which means something like f...g awesome, Steve. B)

Best regards, Lars.

LOL, Lars!  I loved this!

Recliners are rebuilt and re-finished in original-style "splatter" finish.

An inherent weakness (or simply bad design) makes these seats' "tilt forward" release prone to failure.  I've seen 8 of these seats thus far -- in person -- and 5 had this issue.  Short of re-creating the pivot point for the release, the standard 911 seats from '72-'73 -- also manufactured by Recaro -- use precisely the same lower recliner half and are much more plentiful than Idealsitz S recliners.  Swapping recliner halves solves the problem, but the weakness is there.

So if you're looking at one or more of these Idealsitz S models to purchase, check carefully that both the recliner AND tilt forward controls on the outside recliner are (a.) present; and (b.) working.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Steve makes a good point. The plastic cover fitted over the mechanism is a really poor design. These covers are easily damaged or even lost - as happened to my 1602 - especially on two door models by rear seat passengers scrambling in and out. The result may be additional damage to the recliner and/or tilt levers and their rachets.

Does anyone know of a more robust alternative fitment that doesn't require a lot of fettling to suit?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Just for your info anyone that covets the original Turbo seats for anything other than a real turbo is out of their mind unless you weigh under 135lbs.  As cool as it might be to have a set they are the most uncomfortable BMW seat I have ever sat on.  I can go about 2 hours before my leg goes to sleep, 3 hours and I limp for a couple of days.  I have not had anyone but my 14yo nephew in the car that has thought they were comfortable. 

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC