• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ground strap under the hood - 2002

John_in_VA

I know the E28 & E30 had a similar ground strap, but is this one from the hood hinge to nose panel still available?  Part #?  Thanks in advance.

From page 65-11/4:

14184538_1637571933222507_29046811262577

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

My '72 has ground straps at each hood hinge and from inner fenders to outer front fenders. Never figured out why... but I bet we are about to find out.

Stay tuned to Radio KFAQ for the latest news on this Ground-breaking story.  :D

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

1 hour ago, '76Mintgrun'02 said:

I looked under the hood yesterday and there is indeed a hole for that strap.

I am curious why one might need to ground the hood.

If there's a hole for it, we need the part!  The recent post with a page from the parts catalog had me thinking someone might find a number for it.

Radio interference reduction is what comes to mind, and that can be handled with resistor spark plugs.  If the E24/28/30 strap is of comparable size I might look into one - thought it might be a conversation starter next time the hood is up!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

1 hour ago, John_in_VA said:

Radio interference reduction is what comes to mind,

Yes it could be added to reduce interference with the AM band, probably after everything else was tried, on E28s it was part of the heated wiper spray nozzle option so I guess that grounding through the hinges was marginal at best. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

The straps were included as part of the radio installation kit back in the day.  So probably not a BMW part number.  My car has a Becker and the kit included a hood ground strap, a valve cover to firewall strap, an ignition coil doohickey, and alternator doohickey and a voltage regulator doohickey.  So as mentioned above a thin generic braided strap would do it.

6 hours ago, zinz said:

My '72 has ground straps at each hood hinge and from inner fenders to outer front fenders. Never figured out why... but I bet we are about to find out.

Maybe...signal lights are grounded to the outer fenders.  The outer fenders were seam-sealed (caulked) to the body (no metal to metal contact) and attached with bolts. Yes, they had the solder to the nose too.  But I'd say that grounding can be disrupted by the seam-sealer, paint, rusty bolts and broken welds.  Hence a ground strap as back up.  Whadayathink?

Another thing:  I use my AM radio to listen to local Sports stations.  I get static and haven't been able to eliminate it.  I'd like to try the straps. 

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

What would the hood have to do with the radio reception ????

Alt noise remedied by resistor plugs, but the bonnet ????

Nut (fka weevil)

My Claim To Fame - Worked On Harmon Fisher's Car !!! Yes the infamous 2002 F !!!

# 1 72 '02 Malaga, # 2 72 '02 Colorado, # 3 72 '02 Blue, # 4 72 '02 Malaga, # 5 72 tii, # 6 68 1602, # 17 68/76 '02 Custom Red, # 28 74 '02 Brown Metallic, 72 3.0 Csi, 73 3.0Csi, 80 735 Euro, 728 Parts Car

The vibration of electrically 'floating' (ungrounded) panels can be heard as low frequency interference. If the panel is bonded to the cars ground it goes away. In theory...

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

My hood ground strap is on the right hand hinge like the photo.  It was installed at the factory and painted with the car.  (Y'all know why I know it was done at the factory.)  The radio was installed there too.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

30 minutes ago, jimk said:

My hood ground strap is on the right hand hinge like the photo.  It was installed at the factory and painted with the car.  (Y'all know why I know it was done at the factory.)  The radio was installed there too.

JimK, is it possible to post close up picture of tat ground strap. is it braided, strand or solid wire?

General question for electrical gurus: for modern radio is that ground strap is needed or not?  

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10