• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ground strap under the hood - 2002

John_in_VA

12 hours ago, Buckeye said:

JimK, is it possible to post close up picture of tat ground strap. is it braided, strand or solid wire?

By definition a strap is a strap not a multi-strand wire or solid wire.  Ground straps are usually braided straps where there is flexing.  I would not pay a BMW price for a strap but go anywhere for a short strap.  This one seem almost too long for the installation and super sized for the static charges that may be developed by rubs or even shielding. 

DSCN3205.JPG

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Gotta admit...in 47 years of messing with 2002s I've never seen one with a hood ground strap--but I do know a whole bunch of ground straps came with both Becker and Blaupunkt radio install kits (I used to install them in new Peugeots at a dealership).  My AM radio is nice and quiet without even a condenser on the alternator.  

But at least now I know what that stray bolt hole is for...never knew before.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

For those interested here is some details from Motorola from the 70's that noted the interference from unbonded body panels. It also reminded me of another one from static build up from tyres (I have heard of this being treated with carbon granules poured through the valve stem. 

http://www.quest4.org/radio/reducing_noise_interference.htm

Most of this stuff is not relevant for modern FM (or even AM) radio properly installed

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

7 hours ago, JohnH said:

.... and they are only $5.44 from your local dealer.

Realoem.com shows $5.44, but prices there are often outdated.  BMW MSRP appears to be $5.24, with online discounts getting you down to $4.19.

Thanks for the help in finding the part number.  The radio sections of realoem.com for E28 & E30 show a number of other ground straps from 280 to 400 mm in length, in addition to others with no dimensions stated.

65311356255 applications:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=65311356255

E28 ground straps:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=DC74-USA-07-1985-E28-BMW-535i&diagId=65_0054

E30 ground straps:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=1413-USA-07-1987-E30-BMW-325i&diagId=65_0120

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

• 2 years later...

I just tried this grounding strap and was pleasantly surprised. Picking up more HD stations and overall stronger reception across the FM band. My reception problem didn't seem like spark plug noise, just overall weak reception. I was planning on re-doing the antenna but this seemed to do the trick. Now radio even works pretty well with the antenna retracted for some stations. Didn't want to mess with cleaning off the paint around the factory hole.

DSC_4970.JPG

Edited by 7502
spelling
  • Like 4

On 9/2/2016 at 4:19 PM, Stevenola said:

The straps were included as part of the radio installation kit back in the day.  So probably not a BMW part number.  My car has a Becker and the kit included a hood ground strap, a valve cover to firewall strap, an ignition coil doohickey, and alternator doohickey and a voltage regulator doohickey.  So as mentioned above a thin generic braided strap would do it.

I was about to post the same thing. My Becker came with a box full of straps and gizmos for suppression. Still have the instruction sheet somewhere -  and some spare gizmos.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hans said:

I was about to post the same thing. My Becker came with a box full of straps and gizmos for suppression. Still have the instruction sheet somewhere -  and some spare gizmos.

Photos, please!

Thanks and regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)