• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii picture ..... shamelessly lifted ..... you decide

OriginalOwner

Needs upturned muffler tip to blast carbon soot on the right taillight.

And a frequent buyer deal for tires.

i still don't get the fascination with all the negative camber.

i still see guys with the dragging pants- was hoping that fad died out long ago.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Good thing it has a tow hook.............When does that wing come into effect?  150 mph or so?

Mmmmmmm, ribs while you drive.......

Stanced-BMW-2002-Japan-32-1140x760.jpg

Edited by dq48

Not at all my taste but who cares what the heck I think? Certainly not the builder nor those within the massive culture who are partial to this style. Impressive creativity and quality execution, that can't be denied. It's called a "hobby" so that hobbyists of all stripes and spots can coexist...and so I try to repress (not always successfully) the initial urges to be snooty and contemptuous. More often than not, that initial sneering reaction to foreign fashion is more than anything life's gentle reminder that yes indeed, you are...very old.

COOP

Edited by COOP

14 hours ago, Simeon said:

Which carefully mimics the cross section of rain gutters found throughout the area

14 hours ago, TobyB said:

"asinine rear tire/ wheel combination"

t

Skillfully engineered to minimize the contact patch thereby enhancing fuel economy.

Call it good engineering and quality work

Call it fine art in the eye of the beholder

Call it a fad taken to the top of the genre

Just don`t call it a performance car.....must be a nightmare at speeds outside a school zone. 

Loved this quote in the link...

"Ultra Box sought to produce a modified example, while being careful not to create a perversion of the car’s original personality."

LOL!

2xM3

snooty and contemptuous.

I try not to be.

But 4" of stretchy pokey with -4 degrees of camber on the butt end of a 2002 is pretty high on the "form over fashion" list-

high enough to be really f'ing dangerous, as Marshall noted, at anything over school zone speeds.

Kind of like wearing those low ridin' jeans while jumping hurdles...

And while I can't imagine this car being driven in the rain, if you did get caught in a shower, getting it to

stop would also be an exercise in controlled rotation.  They're not contact patches, they're the edge of one of the sidewalls.

Hondas with modern suspension can handle a degree of this.  The antique, mismatched 2002 suspension, less so.

It's a car.  If it can't be driven safely, it's yard art, and calling it anything else (like a 2002) is pushing things a bit.

That's my prejudice.  I'm sticking to it.  But yum, the grilling hamburgers do smell nice...  Oh, bwahhahha, the bolts are in the ports intended for the egt sensors...

Get off my grass!

hee

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Just as an FYI, "stanced out" cars are not intended for any kind of performance driving and are, in fact, conceived to be "school-zone speed " image-cruisers and outlets of pure, personal creativity. Therefore, it is no more worthwhile an endeavor to critique them as performance machines as it would be to appraise old-school Impala low riders as such...So all of the horrified scoffing about contact patch sizes, outrageous negative camber, wing profiles, exhaust configuration and engine compartment design misses the point completely. These cars are born more as art than as functional, logical engineering, whether or not it's art that you/we/I find our personal aesthetic sensibilities aligned with. Again, not my flavor but I applaud the artistic interpretations and executions of all car-loving individuals, even when the controversial canvas happens to be...gasp...a BMW 2002

COOP

6 minutes ago, COOP said:

Just as an FYI, "stanced out" cars are not intended for any kind of performance driving and are, in fact, conceived to be "school-zone speed " image-cruisers and outlets of pure, personal creativity. Therefore, it is no more worthwhile an endeavor to critique them as performance machines as it would be to appraise old-school Impala low riders as such...So all of the horrified scoffing about contact patch sizes, outrageous negative camber, wing profiles, exhaust configuration and engine compartment design misses the point completely. These cars are born more as art than as functional, logical engineering, whether or not it's art that you/we/I find our personal aesthetic sensibilities aligned with. Again, not my flavor but I applaud the artistic interpretations and executions of all car-loving individuals, even when the controversial canvas happens to be...gasp...a BMW 2002. 

COOP

Unfortunately not everyone in the Stance scene appreciates this.  Some people actually believe they are creating a high performance car and actually try and drive them as such.

They are actually aping race cars with lowered suspension and tow recovery points so will need to accept some gentle ribbing from the real performance car set who don't appreciate the art of the cartoonish appearance. 

As you say,  excellent implementation but in my book form and function should work together. Why have a car that looks like it can go fast when you could have one that actually could go fast?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I thought (or actually wished) it was a photoshop job.  There's a lot of skill and money put in stance cars that you need to give credit but to me it feels all wasted.

When I see wheels while driving behind someone it makes me want to turn the other way. Maybe if I was twenty years younger...

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

The whole huge negative camber stance thing came from the drift car craze in the late 90s, early 2000s.  It does actually serve a purpose in drifting, but that's not so much racing as ballet with cars.  Lots of power, not a lot of grip, make the cars look pretty and let them dance for the crowd.

The "stretched and poke'n" stuff was 90s VW scene that migrated to other Euro cars and was then adopted by faux drifter crowds.

To me its no different then american rat rods on air bags that let them lay on the ground at shows, with roofs so low that the driver is all but laying down.  Huge engines and drag radials but never intended to go fast (aside from making clods of smoke when leaving the car show or drive in.)

Zach