• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002tii picture ..... shamelessly lifted ..... you decide

OriginalOwner

I agree with every critique and hesitant praise made on this build; the car shows a great level of skill was applied to its restomodding. I initially, though, had a strong feeling of disappointment until it was pointed out that the car was likely not an actual tii. I don't really understand owners of tiis restoring their cars to this end, when it usually leads to the removal of every piece of equipment that made the car unique and special in the first place (especially the fuel injection and exhaust manifold). There are so many standard '02s out there to tinker with, why destroy such a rare car?

I've been holding out commenting on this car, partially because internet hasn't been working at the office, and I've been enjoying other's opinions. 

I absolutely love so much about this car, almost as much as I dislike allot of it as well. But that's usually the case with modified vehicles done to an individuals, or a scene's taste. This thing is born outa' the Japanese Mod culture and reflects allot of it, but is definitely a refined (work with me here) take on that culture. 

It's all about balancing absurdity and functionality (or lack there of). 

Things I Love. 

-Lordy those flares. The body work is lust-worthy and I love the color. The body in General is very nicely done.

-The Tow-points. That one coming outa the hood is absurdly ridiculously awesome. But to a level, refined. 

-That front lip- I want it. Or a version of it that fits on my car without a Turbo-esque bumper. I love turn-buckle struts. All day erry-day.

-The Exhaust- Honestly... it's a work of art. And definitely a love it or leave it design element. But on this car, I love it. My only wish is that it had the HP/Motor/Suspension setup to rationalize it. If this thing blasted fire-balls of fury and went like stink... How great would that be.

-The interior is also nicely done too. 

Things I hate. 

That wing- Jesus that thing is terrible. Non-functional, Terrible shape that doesn't flow with the rest of the car... It woulda' been been better if it didn't have it at all. Or had a little wing-let molded into the back edge. 

The Motor- The First thing that comes to mind is Fischer Price. The Primary-colored, detail-less motor looks like an afterthought. Everything from the primary Red valve cover to the Hamburger grill above the exhaust manifold screams cheesy. The blue Samco hoses look utterly out of place, as there's no blue anywhere else on the vehicle. You can tell they "tried" to tie it in with the blue tipped fan blades, but its not working.  Everything good about this car BEGS for a monster Turbo Inline 6. For christ sake, they used Zip-ties on the fuel lines to the carbs.... Hack job.

The Stance- Ditch the camber, ditch the stretch, Keep the wheels, and add some nice, wide, sticky, useful rubber.

But... Like I said, this thing is meant to be polarizing, and it succeeds in spades in doing so.

Edited by 2002Scoob

Yeah, we are getting old. I live in the horse country of Maryland and one of the driving hazards around here is all the jacked-up pickup trucks. I wonder what the real performance gains are to all the mods: dual vertical pipes on either side on the back side of the cab. But hey, if thats what makes them happy and gives them an avenue to express their personality, so be it. It's all harmless fun until one of them drifts into my opposite lane while texting and runs over my 02 like a speed bump.

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com

To each their own.  I don't think this is too bad, honestly. - I "get" the direction they were going. I doubt it will see a track for true competition, or even see a good time trial numbers. However, it's well done and seems like those above mentioned tasks were never meant to be in it's future. 

The negative camber allowed the fat wheels and tires, and then the stretch allows the fatter wheels. I'm envious of such roads that allow this type of set-up. In Vermont our roads would kill those wheels and tires in a weekend.

In the end, I'd never do this to my car, but it's respected by me.