• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's It Worth?

nobbyv

Hi guys,

New here. I've owned a number of BMWs before, but nothing vintage. The 2002 has really caught my eye, and I went and looked at one today. But I'm having trouble putting a realistic value on it as is. I was hoping for some input. 

Basic specs:

1972 2002 Tii (verified by VIN)

4-speed 

The good:

Inka Orange (!!!)

Sunroof (operational)

Matching numbers engine

Car is "complete": no major missing parts (except one front bumper overrider)

The bad:

Hasn't run since '94 (owner had it stored inside).

Owner claims engine isn't seized, but had no battery and he wouldn't let me hook up a jumper pack to try cranking it

Interior is junk: cracked dash, no carpets, seats all need reupholstering

Owner sprayed most exterior trim black (poorly) for some reason

Non-original wheels

Now, most of the above factors don't worry me too much. The engine and interior work are all fairly straightforward. What I struggle with more is putting an estimate on what it would take to correct the last issue:

Rust/body (of course)

Overall, I would actually say the car is actually in decent shape as far as rust, but obviously there's some. I took 25+ pics, and am including a few select ones here. The major rust areas are:

1) Driver's floor. Rusted through. The "channel" that runs under the floor (some sort of reinforcement I assume?) actually looked OK, but the top floor metal is gone. To me, that *seems* like a relatively easy fix for someone competentBMW 020.JPG

2) Passenger's floor/footwell. Rusted through, and then cut out and patched by the owner with fiberglass. The repair looks "solid enough", but obviously isn't the "right" way to do it. I'm probably not looking to do a concours-quality restoration, but I at least want to have that option. The fiberglass would have to go. 

3) Front shock towers. Passenger side looked OK (owner has sanded down some surface rust and then hit it with some Wurth rust stop primer). Driver's side has a small area where it's rusted through. I gather this is relatively common, but seems like fixing it correctly would be a pain. BMW 025.JPG

4) Rear shock towers/inside wheel wells. Passenger side had some rust, which again the owner cut out and glassed. Driver's side has some rust, including a pinhole, and is unrepaired.BMW 051.JPGBMW 052.JPG

5) Front clip. Relatively rust free aside from some on the underside of the hood front lip. But the owner hit a deer, and replaced some of the front pieces. The work seems to be "OK": some of the bolts and fasteners are mis-matched. The owner did mention he replaced the front fenders and doors with pieces from a '74. He also made reference to having "filled the interior of the door panels with epoxy to make them sound more "solid" when he shut the doors". Overall, kind of hack-y. Driver's door didn't shut quite right, and was also quite wavy. 

There are plenty of other relatively minor rust issues. Most appear to be surface rust. 

I'm just not sure where to value this car. Obviously, it's the "right" year, and has the right options. My gut says it's a salvageable car (though I'm not sure I'm the guy to salvage it). 

What do you guys think? He says he wants $10k. If I could have gotten it for $6k I would have jumped on it, but I'm thinking of passing on this car. 

BMW 028.JPG

BMW 044.JPG

BMW 032.JPG

BMW 035.JPG

BMW 022.JPG

BMW 023.JPG

BMW 027.JPG

BMW 028.JPG

BMW 029.JPG

14 minutes ago, nobbyv said:

What do you guys think? He says he wants $10k. If I could have gotten it for $6k I would have jumped on it, but I'm thinking of passing on this car.

I've seen photos of extreme work performed by members here, but that doesn't look like something that I'd pay $2002 for.  You might have the skills, time, & $$ to make it nice.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

this car's got to come down to the bones to fix.  even to fix halfway you'd be better off removing engine, suspension and interior to get at the rusty bits.  if you can get it for $1800 or less, the parts could be sold to recoup your fee if you give up.  it is a worthy cause to save it...

(easy for me to say from the comfort of my easy-chair)

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Assume that 100% of the fiberglass and bondo "repairs" are not repairs at all, but rather, are simply "covers" hiding the full extent of the rust -- which I'll bet remains active under the fiberglass and bondo.  That said, the car has rust in a lot of places.  And every repair shown in your photos needs to be re-repaired: none appears to have been done by a remotely-competent repairman.  Nonetheless, anything is repairable if you have the time, skills, and/or money to repair it.

If this were not a round taillight tii in a desirable color with a factory sunroof, I would say "Run".  But if you really want a round taillight tii, with matching numbers, in a great color, with a factory sunroof -- and you either know how to repair rusty panels or are willing to pay someone to repair rusty panels, I'd say the value is between $2,500 and $5,000, unless the car is California, Arizona, etc., where its value would be $2,500 or less -- I have seen worse examples sell for nearly $5,000 within the last year, but those were in the East and in Canada (where buyers are more...desperate, because low-rust cars are virtually non-existent).

If I had to guess, I'd bet you'll spend $7,500 to $15,000 more repairing this car's rust when compared to a truly low rust example, so factor that into your calculations.  If a "low rust" version of this car is available -- easier to dream of than to actually find -- you're possibly better off financially paying $15,000 for that example than paying $2,500 to $5,000 for this example.  On the other hand, some car restorers really LIKE bringing a car back "from the brink"!

So....is this your dream '02?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks for the input guys. I forgot to mention the hilarious part, given the "quality" of the repairs done: the owner apparently owned an auto body shop. It was closed 20 years ago, which isn't too surprising if he was "repairing" other cars in similar fashion. 

As much as this is the "perfect" car for me as far as options/color goes, I'm going to pass on it. 

1 hour ago, nobbyv said:

Thanks for the input guys. I forgot to mention the hilarious part, given the "quality" of the repairs done: the owner apparently owned an auto body shop. It was closed 20 years ago, which isn't too surprising if he was "repairing" other cars in similar fashion. 

As much as this is the "perfect" car for me as far as options/color goes, I'm going to pass on it. 

Good move.  By the by, as you -- hopefully -- continue to search for the right car, rust-through on the FRONT strut towers is not at all common and is generally symptomatic of the worst rust cases.

Not to scare you but to educate you, you should probably take a look at forum member stymee's blog:

It shows both (a.) how unrelentingly-pervasive rust can be on a car that, at first glance, looks gorgeous; and (b.) how said car can be restored given an enormous number of man hours -- in this case largely by the owner.

Good luck with you hunt,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

It looks to me like the restoration costs on this car will be at a MINIMIUM what the car would be worth once finished.  You will easily spend $30-35,000 to restore this car and if you are lucky it will be worth that when you finish it.  What ever you would pay for it will be easily money over and above the value when finished.  You would be money and time ahead to just find a restored roundie Tii and BUY IT if you are willing to spend $35,000 on a Tii. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

2 hours ago, barney t said:

some just cant be saved, you need to start with a better shell than this to be happy in the long run...

Well, Barney,

I would probably word this differently, I would say "some just can't be saved without enormous effort or money" and I'd avoid the happiness thing as one person's nightmare project can be tremendously satisfying for another person.

In the '02 world, I generally point to stymee's blog about his 1972 tii:

I believe stymee's car was considerably worse than the Inka tii at the heart of this present thread -- I could be wrong -- but stymee, largely through his own labor, is rebuilding his car panel by panel.  Granted, such restorations require enormous time and/or energy and perhaps a broader definition of "restoration".  (I always think of the story line "This was my grandfather's hammer and it has great sentimental value to me.  Sure, the head and handle were replaced over the years, but it was my grandfather's hammer!")

Had I more time, or talent, or money, I, personally, love the idea of saving a car that most would characterize as "too-far gone" so I am hesitant to tell anyone not to take on the most Herculean of tasks -- but eager to point out instances where a Herculean effort might be required!

I have certainly seen far worse cars than this Inka tii brought back to concours condition.  It's not everyone's cup of tea -- and the hours or dollars rarely make financial sense -- but it can be a rewarding process.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv