• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's It Worth?

nobbyv

5 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Well, Barney,

I would probably word this differently, I would say "some just can't be saved without enormous effort or money" and I'd avoid the happiness thing as one person's nightmare project can be tremendously satisfying for another person.

In the '02 world, I generally point to stymee's blog about his 1972 tii:

I believe stymee's car was considerably worse than the Inka tii at the heart of this present thread -- I could be wrong -- but stymee, largely through his own labor, is rebuilding his car panel by panel.  Granted, such restorations require enormous time and/or energy and perhaps a broader definition of "restoration".  (I always think of the story line "This was my grandfather's hammer and it has great sentimental value to me.  Sure, the head and handle have been replaced, but it was my grandfather's hammer!")

Had I more time, or talent, or money, I, personally, love the idea of saving a car that most would characterize as "too-far gone" so I am hesitant to tell anyone not to take on the most Herculean of tasks -- but eager to point out instances where a Herculean effort might be required!

I have certainly seen far worse cars than this Inka tii brought back to concours condition.  It's not everyone's cup of tea -- and the hours or dollars rarely make financial sense -- but it can be a rewarding process.

Regards,

Steve

Clock seems salvageable.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

19 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Clock seems salvageable.

:D

LMAO, Ray!

And, honestly, I tried to "like" your previous post on the clock -- which only had me LOL -- but I had used up my daily quota of "likes"!  Seriously!  ☺️☺️

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

22 minutes ago, nobbyv said:

Steve,

It's 2763131.

Thanks,

-Josh

Thanks, Josh,

By the by, that's a 1973 model.  The 1973 model year for U.S. tii's began with 2762630 (manufactured October 1972).  VIN 2763131 should be a late November or a December 1972 car.

I feared you'd say it was 2760001, the very first U.S.-spec tii, and we'd suddenly have a dozen suitors vying to restore it (and "world's worst bodyman" would get his price)!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Thanks, Josh,

By the by, that's a 1973 model.  The 1973 model year for U.S. tii's began with 2762630 (manufactured October 1972).  VIN 2763131 should be a late November or a December 1972 car.

I feared you'd say it was 2760001, the very first U.S.-spec tii, and we'd suddenly have a dozen suitors vying to restore it (and "world's worst bodyman" would get his price)!

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

Good to know, thanks! I forgot to check the VIN range for the '72's. Guess in addition to shoddy body work his memory isn't quite what it could be, either. 

In case all of the reasonable advice in this thread isn't enough to put everyone off, here's the Craigslist ad. The car's in Moultonborough, NH, which is an amazingly beautiful town on the northern shore of Lake Winnipesaukee (in case anyone's headed that way for the upcoming foliage season):

https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5758180740.html

The owner was quite nice, and I hope all here realize I was poking a little fun at his expense but mean him no disrespect in case you talk to him. He lists no price in the ad, and only told me he was looking for $10k after I drove the 75+ miles to see the car. He claims he turned down an offer of $9k, for what that's worth (personally, I think he should have taken the money and ran if it is true).

-Josh

I have stopped going to look at cars if there's no price.  Why bother?  If you can't tell me up front, I don't see it being worth any effort on my part to find out.  And the same to the horse you rode in on!

Ray, I think you could probably restore the seats, too.

I'll start the bidding at $500, Alex, and if I win, I hereby promise to restore that shell to 'pretty driver' or better standards with metal of at least stock gauge in all places where it should be.

Save the tii's!  (and don't spend a lot of money doing so)

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

BTW, that rust on the rear inner wheel wells means the spring's top perch has been compromised. I know, mine cost me $600 in welding and one weekend of fabricating patchs to correct, plus another $500 to fabricate a new rear subframe mount.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

FYI: in case anyone was interested, it *appears* someone actually bought this car within the last week or so. The CL ad is no longer up, after running for easily 3-4 months. I hope whomever bought it knows full-well what they are getting into!

3 hours ago, nobbyv said:

FYI: in case anyone was interested, it *appears* someone actually bought this car within the last week or so. The CL ad is no longer up, after running for easily 3-4 months. I hope whomever bought it knows full-well what they are getting into!

If it sold the owner either got real about the price or someone paid too much.  On the other hand, I checked out a '72 3.0cs years back that the seller wanted $5k for.  It was worth about $2k at the time and would've been considered a parts car.  He held onto it and sold it about three years later when it was worth $5k.  LOL