• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a 74

LLCoolJQ

Relatively new to the 2002 and was wondering what is a fair price for a 74 2002? I will be looking at this 74 hopefully today and based from what I have seen here and elsewhere, a base 2002 is within 5K with a little restoration and 8K tops good running condition, not sure if I got it right? My plans are just putting side drafts 44 mikunis and flares. 

2002sf3.jpg

2002sf2.jpg

2002sf.jpg

74' 2002 (Running Project)

86' 911 (Weekend Warrior)

I would put this car on the lower end of your scale $4K - $6K, than the top end $7K to $8K.  Clearly repainted (poorly) over original Sahara?, driver's seat needs work.  If it runs, drives and stops and the rust is minimal (shock towers, rails, rockers, spare tire tub, fenders), I would offer $3,500, pay $4,500 - $5,000, de-smog it and see how you like it.  If your plan was to cut it up for flares, I would find a significantly cheaper car with good mechanicals and rust in the wheel wells and use it for building a modified street racer.

IMHO,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Thanks guys. I am now a proud 2002 owner. Body is solid but requires repaint and redo the interior. Engine is average and suspension needs an upgrade as it floats like a boat. First thing to do is  tune up and possibly upgrade the suspension with H&Rs, bilsteins and urethane bushings. Body paint and interior will come later on. Here she is being introduced to her new friend.

IMG_20160906_202524.jpg

Edited by LLCoolJQ

Thanks. We'll do. My priority now is to check on the health of the engine, then suspension and interior and my last priority will be paint  De-smog it is. It's one fun cruiser and will make it a daily i hope. Do you have a link where I can check on original colors of 74? I see brown in the engine bay and trunk area but not sure what it called.

40 minutes ago, LLCoolJQ said:

Thanks. We'll do. My priority now is to check on the health of the engine, then suspension and interior and my last priority will be paint  De-smog it is. It's one fun cruiser and will make it a daily i hope. Do you have a link where I can check on original colors of 74? I see brown in the engine bay and trunk area but not sure what it called.

Light brown (tan) was Sahara, dark brown was Sienabraun metallic (appeared mid-'74 model year). And Mark already spotted what appears to be Sahara in the engine compartment.  The tan interior would have been likely with either of these browns.  If you email the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) you won't have to look it up, their response will say, for instance, "the original color was Sahara, color code 006".

Below, from the '75-'76 color and upholstery brochure.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

27 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Light brown (tan) was Sahara, dark brown was Sienabraun metallic (appeared mid-'74 model year). And Mark already spotted what appears to be Sahara in the engine compartment.  The tan interior would have been likely with either of these browns.  If you email the VIN to BMW Archives (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com) you won't have to look it up, their response will say, for instance, "the original color was Sahara, color code 006".

Below, from the '75-'76 color and upholstery brochure.

Regards,

Steve

image.jpeg

Looks like this is the one  dark brown was Sienabraun metallic (appeared mid-'74 model year. Trunk has darker shade of brown and metallic. Nontheless, we'll check the VIN decoder and find out. Thanks guys. Excited on this project.