• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How'd I do? Picked up my first 02 today

RamcoNorris

Yes, I now see the back of the console around the shift knob; missed that before.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

33 minutes ago, plape said:

My 1972 car is VIN 2577101, just a few hundred away from this car, is just like it, including the Klippan belts (now replaced), long console, 121ti head, wraparound rear bumper, 3 lever heater controls, 12 fuse box, black painted seat hinges. 

Good foundation to build on if you can straighten out the rear quarter panel. Looks like the spacer rings are still there under the strut bearings.

Awesome, makes me feel like this car is mostly original then. 

Is the strut spacers just for ride height or did they serve another purpose? I still have a lot to learn

'72 2002 Malaga

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

It appears to have the long console (interior photo of front seats), as we would expect of a Modell 71, despite the Klippan belts -- which, I agree, are likely original.

Regards,

Steve

Correct, long console

IMG_4693.JPG

'72 2002 Malaga

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

As Son of Marty pointed out, that "delivery" is solely delivery of legal title (ownership) of the car from BMW AG to Hoffman Motors Corp, a New York corporation.  And the New York City reference refers solely to Hoffman Motors' legal domicile, not a U.S. Port of Entry (PoE).  You'll need an original window sticker or import documents to discover the PoE (although if you know the delivering retail dealer, you can perhaps guess the PoE.  Shipping from factory to U.S. retail dealer took anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks, depending on ship schedules, weather, PoE, distance from PoE to retail dealer, etc.

Regards,

Steve

That makes more sense, thanks for the info

'72 2002 Malaga

Hmmm...just wondering if, possibly, seat belts needed to be retracting as of 1/1/1972, but anything was okay before that date.  Stated differently, were the "spaghetti-style" Klippan's phased out over the course of the fourth quarter of 1971 in advance of mandatory retractable belts as of 1/1/1972?

Who here has a pre-1/1/1972 Modell 71 (I no longer believe that the Modell 71 arrived with the first 257xxxx VIN's in January 1971 but, rather, arrived closer to April 1971), meaning WITH knee trim, long-tail bumpers, and long console, and WITH retracting seat belts (as opposed to the Klippan with the center loop)?  What is your car's VIN and manufacturing date (email VIN to BMW Archives: info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com)?

Thanks,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, RamcoNorris said:

Awesome, makes me feel like this car is mostly original then. 

Is the strut spacers just for ride height or did they serve another purpose? I still have a lot to learn

I believe the strut spacers raised ride height to meet US bumper regs, many of us remove them (easy job) to drop a bit in front to Euro specs. But if you are happy with stance as is, leave them in, no harm.

No, look how the 'flare' around the wheelhouse is pushed in.  It's been given a 5 mph hit from behind, which embedded the overrider into the tail panel,

but it's also been mildly sideswiped.  It shows in front of the door, too.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I would say that is a good price for a solid car, the lack of rust is pretty amazing, never take that for granted believe me I learned the hard way. Mine is an early 72 though I have not sent the vin to the archives to be verified. It is registered as a 1972  vin# 2575649. It has the long bumper, klippan seat belts, single barrel carb with choke on the steering column. Same interior as yours. Numbers match as well. Great job taking your time and finding a nice one! I bought

mine because I felt sorry for it sitting under a tree with 2 inches of water in the floor boards.

Crawled under the car today to have a look and found a Getrag 245 under there, 245.0.540.00. Had an idea it was a 5 speed but the clutch linkage is broken and the shifter is so sloppy its hard to tell. Anything I need to know or look out for in terms of parts or servicing?

IMG_4697.JPG

Edited by RamcoNorris

'72 2002 Malaga

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 2:40 PM, Conserv said:

Hmmm...just wondering if, possibly, seat belts needed to be retracting as of 1/1/1972, but anything was okay before that date.  Stated differently, were the "spaghetti-style" Klippan's phased out over the course of the fourth quarter of 1971 in advance of mandatory retractable belts as of 1/1/1972?

Who here has a pre-1/1/1972 Modell 71 (I no longer believe that the Modell 71 arrived with the first 257xxxx VIN's in January 1971 but, rather, arrived closer to April 1971), meaning WITH knee trim, long-tail bumpers, and long console, and WITH retracting seat belts (as opposed to the Klippan with the center loop)?  What is your car's VIN and manufacturing date (email VIN to BMW Archives: info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com)?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Info that I have....

Pre Model '71 2570001 - 2572069 (Jan '71 - Mar '71)

Model '71 2572070 - 2593704 (Apr '71 - Aug '73)

Thus Apr '71 was the start of most model '71s - USA & Euro cars

Edited by 02Les
added text

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

Steve,

Info that I have....

Pre Model '71 2570001 - 2572069 (Jan '71 - Mar '71)

Model '71 2572070 - 2593704 (Apr '71 - Aug '73)

Thus Apr '71 was the start of most model '71s - USA & Euro cars

Thank you once again, Les!

Now THAT makes sense: the Modell 71 arrives in April 1971, with VIN 2572070; the switch to 2570001 in January 1971 appears to have been a non-event!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

RN, send a pic of the clutch slave cylinder.  If it disappears into the bellhousing, you have an E21 5- speed.

If it has an open shift fork that goes into the bellhousing, we need more pictures.  You could have a CR 5 speed or a 4 speed.

You're looking for an 'extension housing' between the main bellhousing/maincase and the tailhousing.

I ranted about casting numbers a few months back, and it applies here- the TAILHOUSING on your transmission thinks it's

on a 245.  The guts may not agree with that.

Bonus, tho, if you do.    That tips the scales into 'well- done!"

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL