• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How'd I do? Picked up my first 02 today

RamcoNorris

16 hours ago, TobyB said:

RN, send a pic of the clutch slave cylinder.  If it disappears into the bellhousing, you have an E21 5- speed.

If it has an open shift fork that goes into the bellhousing, we need more pictures.  You could have a CR 5 speed or a 4 speed.

You're looking for an 'extension housing' between the main bellhousing/maincase and the tailhousing.

I ranted about casting numbers a few months back, and it applies here- the TAILHOUSING on your transmission thinks it's

on a 245.  The guts may not agree with that.

Bonus, tho, if you do.    That tips the scales into 'well- done!"

t

I got back under there (really wish I had a 2 post lift) to take a look. It looks like a e21 5-speed. The slave cylinder mounts on the side of the transmission, but that is not where it is currently mounted. Its down near the pedal box.

I assume this is an issue? The cylinder also has two lines, one of which is not connected to anything on its other end. It just has a plug in it.

.IMG_4714.JPGIMG_4698.JPG

'72 2002 Malaga

Errr.... yeah, an E21 gearbox- is there an extension housing between the bell and the output?  You could also have an E21 4- speed...

And yes, your clutch slave's escaped.  

Methinks that's probably evidence of some trouble or other in the clutch department...

...and the metal tube that goes up from the master

should eventually mate to the brake fluid reservoir.  

To refill the clutch, if it ever needed it

(which it shouldn't)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 9/7/2016 at 8:26 PM, Tom W said:

72 though I have not sent the vin to the archives to be verified. It is registered as a 1972  vin# 2575649. It has the long bumper, klippan seat belts, single barrel carb with choke on the steering column. Same interior as yours. Numbers match as well.

My first 2002 a very early 72 was configured just like this with the 12 fuse electrical system, I have always thought that BMW's reputation for using up old stock on newer models was cemented with this ragged change over.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944