• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watkins Glen

Harv

I'm heading over to Watkins Glen for the Vintage Racing weekend. Anyone else going?

My plan is to arrive Saturday morning, stay all day, eat in town, camp, enjoy Sunday and head back to Cleveland. I'm driving my sand beige 912. Stop by and say hi!

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

I stopped there for an overnight stay en route to Vintage at Saratoga this Summer. A large contingent of 2002 owners (including me, Mary and our son, Alec) attended the 2007 Vintage Grand Prix in Watkins Glen. BMW was the featured marque that year. It was a great time. Beautiful place.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Booger.

I sometimes go, but not this year.  

It's fun- you get a lot of access to parts of

the track that you don't usually have at a 'name' event,

and it's fun to just wander.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

In the 80's while in school over in Ithaca I worked as a flagman at the Glen.  Got in for free, trackside seating, and a radio so you could hear what was going on everywhere on the track.   Only down side was in order to work the big events, you had to do minor ones as well, so I spent some weekends watching doctors, dentists, and stock brokers from NY driving their Porches around the circuit. 

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter

• 2 weeks later...

You bet.  I'm just up the road in Rochester.  I couldn't get away last weekend, but will make a point of freeing up the weekend if we can get a bunch of '02's to come out.  It's a great venue, and a great race weekend.  We could even organize some brewery drives at the end of the days!

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Sorry I missed those that were there!  I have been attending since it started in the early 90's.  The festival on the original course on Friday nights is always a blast!  My son did the Glenkana in his Mini and had a great time.  If you didn't see the 1600, that was because I had the 68 Mustang out for the weekend.  Hope to see some of you next year and I will pay more attention to the posts!  I completely missed Harv's original post.  Hopefully I will be able to bring the 633Csi I just picked up next year!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

• 2 weeks later...

It was a lot of fun. Our tents and EZup even survived the high wind and thunderstorms! It would be good to add another day like Friday. For us it was drive 4.2 hrs in the 912, spectate, shower, eat, camp, spectate then drive 4.2 hrs back. Jack didn't like 85mph in the 912 with the sun in our faces as we drove back to Ohio. 

Next year!

john

IMG_5272.JPG

Edited by Harv

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

You've really got to come over on Friday.  The events in the town are really enjoyable.  I was there this year with my Siennabraun '02.  It is usually parked in front of the Watkins Motel.  Feel free to stop by next year, and we can share a beer and a some '02 stories.  James, I'm thinking we met there on Saturday night, so bring a whole crew back next year.