• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help establishing price for sale....What's it worth?

Dicks

It's time that I part with my 2002 and let someone else enjoy it.  Frankly, age and too many other demands are not allowing me to pay attention to the Bummer than I should.  Plus, I can use the space in my Houston area garage.... This 1972 Roundie is a DAILY DRIVER  and not a show car -- please remember that.... But I find that I've only been putting maybe 1000 miles a year of this garage queen.

The car has had at least two other prior owners...probably more.  It was resurrected some years ago by a mechanic from whom the PO brought the car.  I've owned it for about 5+ years now.  The car is NOT a matching numbers vehicle.  It's a '72, but has a 74 motor and transmission (4speed).  During time I've owned it, I've done the following:

Rebuilt engine (less than 4000 miles ago)

Replaced clutch & guibo  (less than 3000 miles ago)

Replaced tie rod ends and other bushings & suspension goodies

Removed, but kept the Dealer A/C system and counsel

Replaced the dash with a crack free example

Installed beautiful Recaro seats

Installed a new original style carpet

Replaced the door cards with later model good examples

Installed a ceramic coated Tii exhaust header

Installed an IE stainless exhaust system

Engine-wise.... it was rebuilt with 9.5 Mahle pistons.  It has the stock cam, but the single Weber 45 Intake.  Runs very well.

Paint...is the original Colorado color, but the PO's repaint was only a driver quality job.

RUST --  I have some poor quality pics from the mechanic who tackled the rust.  They show several of the typical areas being replaced with metal -- not Bondo.  However, the passenger rocker rear is a Bondo filler repair.  I have no doubt that someone would be able to find some rust spots as is normal with these cars, but overall ...it's a great 10 foot car.

What it needs....  1) Replace speedo as the odometer has quit again with an on hand replacement item.  2)  While your in there, add a ground strap to the instrument cluster.  3) Track down a suspect fuel line leak that causes slow fire up after sitting for a couple of weeks.  Other than those things.... it's a normal old 2002 that takes a certain amount of continuing care that should be known to most all of you.

I have a LOT of spares and other pieces that would go with the car including a rebuilt pedal box and the A/C system -- Probably 4-5 boxes of items.

As I said, I've been toying with selling it for a while.  Now is probably as good as time as ever.  I'd appreciate it if some of you could give me some advice on likely pricing as well as the best way to go...  FAQ, Craigslist, eBay?

Thanks guys and gals....

0911161131.jpg

Eng Driver.jpg

Eng Pass.jpg

Front Left.jpg

Front Right.jpg

Front.jpg

Int 1.jpg

Int Pass.jpg

Pass side.jpg

Rear.jpg

Edited by Dicks
Changed subject on advice of others

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

It certainly looks nice in the pictures with tasteful upgrades and a very desirable color it should sell fast.  Looks like it was painted at least once, poorly from the overspray on the hood hold down components, but that can be easily addressed.  Non-matching motor really doesn't hurt the value, but rust in the rockers puts my value range at $10K to $15K.  I personally would try selling it on the FAQ first, because loyal FAQ members would appreciate the value and uniqueness of this car.  But if you are trying to maximize your profit, I would put it on eBay for greater exposure with a reasonable reserve and let the market decide what it is worth.

IMHO,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Dicks...from the pictures and with the re-built motor in mind...I would think 12-14k would be a fair price...start trying to sell it on this site then ebay if needed...look at ones listed/selling on ebay to gauge your's against them for pricing...

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

I picked up this 73 example very similar to yours last year from a Southern California based estate sale company.  It does have it's original motor and a 5 speed conversion, sunroof, recent paint.  I found the car on eBay.  They wanted $18500 and I ended up at $17000.  Strong money for a carbed car, but my favorite color and no rust.

Mark

2002-1.jpg

2002-10.jpg

2002-22.jpg

I buy salvage and private party cars for a living and the owner of the company and I call your first instinct at a price your "Blink" price, which is from a book he read.  You see the car, in person or in photos, get the vitals and usually a gut feel price pops into your head.  When I did this with your car I came up with $12k, then I scrolled down and saw that that's what others thought too.  So without over analyzing anything that's what feels right.  With that said, I come from a long 2002 history back when these cars were a dime a dozen, so the price increase that's going on now is a little hard for me to grasp.

Dan

3 hours ago, dang said:

I come from a long 2002 history back when these cars were a dime a dozen, so the price increase that's going on now is a little hard for me to grasp.

Dan

That was the exact feeling many had when the early 911 market took off.  Crazy to think that the 2002 would even come close to that kind of gain, but who knows!

Mark