• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2000tii Touring Alpina on BaT

Kronos

2 hours ago, fiminod said:

Conserv, thanks for all of that, I will check out the repros  and use them as place holders until the real deal pops up, wiper arms probably a much easier proposition. The hunt is on.

Steve 

Hey, Steve,

One more thing....about those underhood decals!

1.  U.S.-spec cars received a particular set of decals: some of these where bi-lingual, some were solely English.  Some of these were required by U.S. regulations, others were simply translations of Euro decals.  And...these decals changed, in number, design, and content, over the production run of '02's.  Simple?

2.  Euro-spec cars received a different set of decals, which were then added-to by the various jurisdictions into which cars were imported.  And the number of decals tended to increase over the course of the production run.  Anders's amazingly-original '66 1600-2 has just one underhood sticker -- correct, one -- consistent with other 1600-2's of that earliest tranche.  OK: so maybe this sticker thing is not so simple!

3.  I do not know what a Euro-spec car that was "Federalized" in 1972 might have in the way of underhood decals.  Did the U.S. government possibly require Federalized cars -- I'm referring to new cars -- to have all the U.S.-mandated or English-language stickers added?  I don't know the answer to that question either and I fear that finding other examples of, say, 1972-Federalized cars still bearing original decals could be finding a needle in a haystack.

So -- not that you or anyone asked -- what would I do?

Well...I'd first do some research because I'm not nearly as familiar with Euro-spec decals as I am with U.S.-spec decals, and I'd probably lean towards using the Euro decals, unless I saw evidence -- somewhere -- that Federalized cars did receive the U.S.-spec decals.  In the case of your new touring, in particular, where the car was already built and in use as a "demonstration car", I'd be confident it originally received the Euro-spec decals.  The only question in my mind is whether someone had to replace those stickers: I somewhat doubt it.

Now that that's off my chest, I can rest easier!

One more thing:  Please, please, please go out to the garage, carefully pull the Chamonix paint label off the new touring, and stick it on a men's room stall at the nearest McDonalds.  I can't wait to hear the '02 experts un-fold their tale of how the stall wall was originally painted Chamonix at BMW's Munich factory...

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

This might not be relevant but my 1885 M535i that came to the US in 1986 has German stickers under the hood and no add on's except for the federalization sticker on the drivers door jam.   

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Regarding Wipers/Wiper Arms for the Touring..........they are different!

The Arms are longer as the front windshield is higher/taller. I think they are about 1" longer.

Probably NLA, but here's the part #s for Model 71 (up to '73)

DS 61 61 1 350 140

PS 61 61 1 350 139

The Wiper Blades are 16" long and the Model 71 Arms are stainless. '73-'74 (Model 73) Tourings had black Arms (probably the same at model 71 with a coat of black paint)

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I am very inclined to agree with Steve about going Euro '72 with the engine bay stickers.
@fiminod, I ought to be able to help you with some decent pics to get you on the right track with those stickers.

Furthermore, imo the current repro trapezoid door mirrors are actually very faithfull to the originals.  I bought my last set from Stefan Ries in Germany.

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

8 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

This might not be relevant but my 1885 M535i that came to the US in 1986 has German stickers under the hood and no add on's except for the federalization sticker on the drivers door jam.   

And it might well be relevant!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

13 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

My RHD Euro E28s have all had a tire pressure sticker on the door jam. Does yours?

02tii 2751928 (2582)