• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

tii Engine Vacuum Hoses Question

2002#3

I see some tii engines (mine) which have two vacuum hoses (from the runner/intake plenum) which other tii engines do not have:  

(1) a larger black one over the L air filter to the deceleration valve, and

(2) a smaller grey one over the R air filter to the distributor [after it joins with other smaller vacuum hoses].

These two hoses are shown in the attached photo of my tii engine.

Why are these hoses not found on some tii engines?  Is it an early/late production/year thing?

Thanks.

Larry Gray

Cincinnati

IMG_2811.jpg

Hi Larry -

I remember meeting you at Fuel a while back.  There are far bigger experts around that will answer your Q completely (or correct me if I'm wrong), but the short answer is "yes" - it is an early / late thing.

Only 1974 tiis had the decel valve (the piece on the airbox).  Not as sure about the hoses to the dizzy - iirc the '74s may have had vacuum advance (which is what those hoses are, I believe), too, and the '72s and '73s did not - I think they only had mechanical advance.  

The euro cars generally had fewer hoses floating around vs. the US cars, as well, due to the more stringent US emissions regs.  But we won't go there. 

Net, your '74 has what it is supposed to have, I'm pretty sure.  

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

Yes, Scott, I remember you, too.  Exactly as I thought:  an earlier/later thing.  No big deal and not going to change anything.  I hope to see you at Fuel again, hopefully in 3 or so wks after my '74 is out of the body shop after an almost a 4-month internship.  Regards, Larry

74 US tiis have the additional hoses and vacuum retard distributor to conform with tighter US smog regulations for 1974.  The Kugelfischer pump is also different for 1974. All of the parts work together as a matched set and are unique to only the 1974 tii.

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️