• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 1600 ti

mm1600ti

From the pictures it's got all the correct little features that a late '67/early '68 non US car should have--chrome surrounding the instruments, metal door and window handles, small outside rearview mirror mounted on the leading edge of the door (like NK sedans), plastic caps on the trunk lid torsion bar links and the chrome trim on the dash.  

Excellent find.  And yes, the grille on the early cars was blacked out with black paint, not black anodized appliques.

We wanna see it in person at Mid America next spring.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, Henning said:

Already sent a pm to mm concerning the rims, Steve?

hen

We'll collect their dates in due time, Hen, due time! ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

For a 1600 owner, that is the Holy Grail!  Congratulations on a great find and please keep us updated on your progress.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

...I'm just shaking my head in disbelief :blink:

Borannis and Swan Neck mirror are just cream on top.

MUST SEE ENGINE !!!!!!!

I can help with info on those Solexes.  Finding parts can be a PITA, but I have some sources.

wow...

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

14 hours ago, vinntagejoe said:

I'm interested in the "FIND" story as well (engine shots please)

Here are some engine shots. As far as the find story here we go: I owned a 72 2002 and my garage was open. I guy was driving by and saw the car. We chatted for awhile and he mentioned he had alot of parts for sale. When I got over to his property I saw the car with waist high weeds and about 1.5 cars worth of parts. I bought the entire lot, just crazy luck, he was getting ready to scrap the car. 

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

Whoooooaar....!!  :P

That's just utterly spasstasticly fabulous....

What I wouldn't give to have a genuine 1600ti - matching numbers and all.

I can't possibly stress enough how much you ought to listen to Conserv and Son of Marty here.  Please, please, please do not mess this one up!  Keep it original, and just treat it to a very light restoration which preserves its authenticity and character.  You have got something hugely rare here!

14 hours ago, mike said:

From the pictures it's got all the correct little features that a late '67/early '68 non US car should have--chrome surrounding the instruments, metal door and window handles, small outside rearview mirror mounted on the leading edge of the door (like NK sedans), plastic caps on the trunk lid torsion bar links and the chrome trim on the dash.  

Excellent find.  And yes, the grille on the early cars was blacked out with black paint, not black anodized appliques.

All that Mike says here is obviously both well-spotted and correct.  Furthermore, there's the dashboard sans ribs on the tray in front of the passanger.  You've even got the early inside rear view mirror with that beautifully sculpted alloy foot.  And original salt & pepper carpets are a nice touch too.  Hopefully they aren't too worn and you might be able to save them with a thorough clean.

Only non-original parts I can spot are the Borrani steel wheels, the front seats, the steering wheel, the roll bar and the auxiliary fuel pump residing in the boot.
The Borrani's are of course perfectly period and equally cool!  I personally love the original early wooden 1600ti steering wheel, but if that is indeed a correct Alpina Momo Prototipo steering wheel, then even I would be in two minds as to whether I would want to return to the original steering wheel.  If you have no need for the rear seat, then I might very well keep the roll cage too, as it really suits the sporty 1600ti, which when first launched was of course the most sporting of the 02's and was used widely in motorsport.  If you keep the Borrani's, Momo and roll cage, then the boot mounted auxiliary fuel pump really fits the whole picture nicely.  However, those front seats are not period for a '67 car.  They are probably some 10 years newer than the car - possibly even a bit more.  Along with a light general restoration of the 1600ti, I would suggest looking for a more period set of sporting front seats from the likes of Recaro or Scheel.

May I also suggest that you email BMW Classic Archive with your VIN, as they will then tell you the exact date of production and the cars original colour.

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

Last but not least, I'm very interested to know whether this car is 6V or 12V.  Would you please let us know, and a picture or two of the engine bay would be great too...

Thx!!  ;)

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

9 minutes ago, mm1600ti said:

.....As far as the find story here we go: I owned a 72 2002 and my garage was open. I guy was driving by and saw the car. We chatted for awhile and he mentioned he had alot of parts for sale. When I got over to his property I saw the car with waist high weeds and about 1.5 cars worth of parts. I bought the entire lot, just crazy luck, he was getting ready to scrap the car.

I completely understand, because that happens to me....well...never!  Never ever!  ?

It's even better that you saved it from the crusher!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Excellent save!!!  Well done Sir - I salute you...  ;)

And thx for the engine pics.

So it's clearly a 12V car, which is interesting as the low ti VIN suggests that all 1600ti's were 12V.  Maybe??
It would appear to be running Webers now rather than the original Solex carbs.  I hope you have the original airbox somewhere among all the spares that you got with the purchase of the car...

Edited by 02Anders

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

On September 21, 2016 at 3:02 PM, 02Anders said:

...Last but not least, I'm very interested to know whether this car is 6V or 12V.  Would you please let us know...

It's got an alternator now, which says 12V to me.  But it's also got the super-low battery tray which I associate with my old 6V.  But maybe all 1600ti's have their batteries at the 6V height?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Helluva great story... and a rare bird, for certain.  One has to wonder how it made it's way into Colorado.

Fortunately, Solex PHHs are pretty easy to come by. The proper 1600 airbox? ...not so much, but I bet we can find one in this group.  

Sitting in high grass I'd be suspect of the floor pans, but it looks to have good enough bones to resurrect.  I hope you'll keep us posted on the rebuild and bring it to MidAmerica when she's done!

Congratulations and best of luck with her,

Ed Z

...are the wheels stamped Alpina?

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Ditto! 

It's worthy to have it at the BMW museum. 

Also, BMW North America is looking to established dealers to highlight vintage BMWs, not exclusive, but more as a calling card. A well established BMW  dealer will appreciate the car and my want to display it. 

Chris Hutton

72 02tii Ceylon 2761758

71 02 Sunroof Riviera 2574316

68 1600 Bristol 1565358

88 535is sold