• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 1600 ti

mm1600ti

1 hour ago, 02Anders said:

Steve, did all 1600ti and 2002ti not have the low battery tray?
I'm not 100%, but I think this was the case...

I dunno, Anders.  That's why I'm asking!

Here's my warped and likely incorrect theory/remembrances/musings (critically, I've reached this conclusion without the help of a tape measure, ruler, etc., but based entirely on peering into a bunch of '02 engine bays):

1.  6V 1600-2 battery trays were lower than 12V 1600-2 battery trays,

2,  and early 2002 battery trays were the same height as 12V 1600-2 battery trays, but...

3.  2002ti battery trays, although lowered (from the "normal" 12V height) to accommodate the airbox, were nonetheless higher than 6V trays.  (If you're keeping score, that's 3 different battery tray heights and I'm only at 1969!)

4.  If 1., 2., and 3. are actually true -- and that's sounding unlikely already -- I expected a 1600ti 12V battery tray to match a 2002ti battery tray.  But this one, admittedly viewed from a bad angle, looks really low, as in 6V low, as in "maybe very early 12V cars kept the 6V tray height"....  

Sadly -- or, fortunately, depending on your viewpoint -- I don't currently own any pre-'73 '02's, so some (other) dedicated member of the forum is going to have to actually check these facts so that future generations aren't confused by the mis-information I'm handing out here.  Are there fewer battery tray heights than I think?  (Stated differently, is a 2002ti tray as low as a 6V tray?)

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Whooooaar.... I seriously need to rest my poor brain after attempting to read that...!!!  :blink:
You lost me half way through point 3.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve, I believe we need a separate thread so that we can get to the bottom of this!

Edited by 02Anders

O==00==O
With BMW-Regards,
Anders.

18 minutes ago, Jam3422 said:

I'm happy to add to the esoterica and measure the depth of my 2002ti battery tray tonight...maybe we can convince mm1600ti to do the same.

Now THAT'S why I LOVE you guys, and this forum!!!  I dream up unheard-of complexities and you guys add actual facts to my dreams!  ?

Thank you,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

19 minutes ago, 02Anders said:

Whooooaar.... I seriously need to rest my poor brain after attempting to read that...!!!  :blink:
You lost me half way through point 3.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve, I believe we need a separate thread so that we can get to the bottom of this!

You are so right, Anders, but if we start a Battery-Tray-Heights-Through-the-'02-Era thread, someone, or some people, are going to have to do a lot of work, carrying it through from 1966 to 1977.  And then we would need to address the bolted-in versus welded-in issue, not to mention the ti/tii versus non-ti/tii battery hold-down issue, which itself brings up the original versus replacement ti/tii battery hold-down issue and I probably don't even know about a half-dozen other issues....?

So for now, I'm just going to wait for Jam3422 and mm1600ti to measure their battery trays' height from the frame rail (or distance down from the radiator support)!  ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

5 hours ago, vinntagejoe said:

..................hmmm, i keep looking at that valve cover and filter set-up, just doesn't look quite right (period correct); I assume your search is "on"?

Well, most ribbed valve covers tend to have casting dates on the back side (just as the un-ribbed covers seem to not have casting dates), so it may be easy to verify if the valve cover might be original: it obviously cannot post-date the car's manufacturing date and would likely be cast no more than 9 months, or so, before the car's manufacturing date.  We have a long thread that reaches various conclusions and non-conclusions with respect to dating valve covers by their appearance -- as opposed to by their casting dates:

The problem was that no one would pull off their valve cover to get a photo of the outside AND the inside, with casting date!

Filler cap is not original.

I don't have a good sense of what you are referring to when you say "filter set-up":  it's currently got Webers (in place of the Solexes) and aftermarket air filters.  But the two left inner-fender airbox brackets are certainly there, just waiting for an original airbox!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

Wonderful car and equally wonderful story! Sounds like it went to the right owner too.

Keep us up to date as to progress!

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

9 minutes ago, Jam3422 said:

OK folks, here's my contribution to the minutiae of the day.  71 2002ti, measured from the tray surface the battery sits on, just under 15 inches.  I am curious about the 1600ti.

Solex PHH 015.JPG

Solex PHH 017.JPG

Thank you, and congratulations for having not only a 2002ti, but a Colorado ti!  Yeow!

Regards,

Steve

On 9/21/2016 at 2:18 PM, zinz said:

Helluva great story... and a rare bird, for certain.  One has to wonder how it made it's way into Colorado.

Fortunately, Solex PHHs are pretty easy to come by. The proper 1600 airbox? ...not so much, but I bet we can find one in this group.  

Sitting in high grass I'd be suspect of the floor pans, but it looks to have good enough bones to resurrect.  I hope you'll keep us posted on the rebuild and bring it to MidAmerica when she's done!

Congratulations and best of luck with her,

Ed Z

...are the wheels stamped Alpina?

The wheels are Borrani R1-528.

The car supposedly made it state side as a TT hill climb race car in Vermont. I have all the original service records for decades. The owner upgraded to a Porsche....from what I am told, when it went to the owner I found it from. The owner then had a "carb issue" and it sat for years when I found it. I cleaned the carbs and it fired right up. 

Edited by mm1600ti