• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust experts...help me build a nice custom exhaust

jrhone

The wife says the car is too loud.  Its time to put a different exhaust on the car.  Currently its got a IE street header a glass pack as a resonator to a round flow master muffler in the back.  The glass pack and muller are at least 10 years old and have at least 150k miles on them so I would bet that there is no packing left in the glass pack and the muffler is tired.  The current sound is loud and aggressive.  I'd like to keep aggressive and loud is ok if I am really stepping on it, but would like it at modest volume at lower RPM's.  I'd also not like to LOSE any power.  Engine is a 292 cam, hi compression pistons, Weber 38 carb.  One idea is to put a new glass pack and muffler on it.  That would probably reduce the volume and keep the aggressive tone.  I wonder if that would be enough reduction.  Then I thought maybe get a system like the Ireland exhaust.  Its tested and it works.  Louder than stock and still sporty sounding.  I hear the Ansa Sport exhaust system is LOUD so thats probably out.  I then read that the larger (longer?) the muffler and glass pack are the deeper the tone.  I am not looking for something deep per se...My favorite engine note on most cars is the Infinity G35 cars.  Its got a newer Alfa sporty sound.  Its got kind of higher pitch sound and when revved screams.  So I thought maybe 2 smaller glass packs in series and a smaller rear muffler? I know Ireland used to use 2 small mufflers as resonators, maybe that was to get a certain exhaust note?  Would that be too much back pressure?  Borla makes a universal round muffler that will fit the rear and I have heard it on Honda's and Toyotas and its a raspy tone, but that alone is about $400.  I'd like to keep it to $200-300 total if possible.  Maybe the factory Turbo muffler and resonator?  I'm sorta lost and without hearing 02s its hard to get an idea of the sound I will get from various exhaust system.    Thanks for any advice!

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I think IE stainless is good value for the money and just a little stretch to your budget. Achieving better result with less money for custom would be a challenge.

My experience is of the earlier IE with double resonator and some attempts of custom setups that were disappointing in several ways.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

8 hours ago, danco_ said:

Is $200-300 your total budget? 

IE's stainless system is not loud at all. Like, AT ALL. 

6 hours ago, Tommy said:

I think IE stainless is good value for the money and just a little stretch to your budget. Achieving better result with less money for custom would be a challenge.

My experience is of the earlier IE with double resonator and some attempts of custom setups that were disappointing in several ways.

Lemme explain the budget a little bit. My thought was it shouldn't cost more than $200-300 to cut the old glass pack and mufflers off and replace them with something else. That's why I set it at that. I'm not planning on getting a header back full exhaust. It already got 2.5" pipe from the header. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

It already got 2.5" pipe from the header. 

then you've already got most of what you need.  Measure the existing cans, and go muffler shopping:

Magnaflow is one of the only ones out there that don't cost you horseopwer,

but I seem to go back to the Flowmaster 40/45/50- I like the growl.

Hard to fit, though.

Or just crawl under the Datsun you like the sound of and sawzall the exhaust off-

it's what all the substance- abuse- addicted kids do.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL