• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust experts...help me build a nice custom exhaust

jrhone

51 minutes ago, Chamonix72 said:

So, if you quiet the exhaust down, I hope your wife doesn't complain about the intake noise from dual DCOE's. emoji51.png

Her main issue is when I'm coming and going she hears me a block away. Even if I'm doing 10 mph. So for those times I'd like it quieter. I don't want stock quiet at all. I actually will upload a clip of the current exhaust. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

20 minutes ago, jrhone said:

Her main issue is when I'm coming and going she hears me a block away. Even if I'm doing 10 mph. So for those times I'd like it quieter. I don't want stock quiet at all. I actually will upload a clip of the current exhaust. 

Flame suit on... How about stock-ish exhaust with an electronic cut out after the resonator but before the muffler? Idk what that would sound like but my m20 swap is currently in that configuration and it is TOO loud. Btw I just moved down to Irvine and I'm looking for a shop to do this kind of work - do you have a shop local?

Yuuuup. That's wife/girlfriend annoying level, but enthusiast happiness volume as well. How much do ya love her?? 

Kidding! But I would say it is a bit raspy on throttle. I personally like my exhausts with a little less treble, a little more bass, and a tad less volume than ya got. 

6 hours ago, Chamonix72 said:

Yeah, looks like a 4" muffler or so. I had one of those and traded it for the 6". Much more livable.

I think I'm gonna get a longer glass pack and a 6 inch rear muffler and see how that sounds...should be a tad deeper and a tad quieter.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

• 7 months later...

I went with a 6" rear flowmaster muffler to replace the 4" rear muffler. Kept the same tone just a lot quieter. Honestly maybe too quiet lol. Maybe a 5" muffler would be perfect but in this case quieter is better. Still raspy just not loud. Muffler shop also secured the exhaust with new hangers and routed the exhaust perfectly and put a nice polished tip on it.  So its more functional and visually nicer.  Win win.  Here is a clip...

Edited by jrhone

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

I like the sound, my exhaust is kinda in your face. One of those things that I will keep in mind I address at a later date. Being a new owner still like the burble and pop, but it will likely get old fast. 

I will post mine tomorrow. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 5/6/2017 at 9:22 AM, jrhone said:

I went with a 6" rear flowmaster muffler to replace the 4" rear muffler. Kept the same tone just a lot quieter. Honestly maybe too quiet lol. Maybe a 5" muffler would be perfect but in this case quieter is better. Still raspy just not loud. Muffler shop also secured the exhaust with new hangers and routed the exhaust perfectly and put a nice polished tip on it.  So its more functional and visually nicer.  Win win.  Here is a clip...

Very nice.  How much does it cost to put in a Flowmaster muffler at a shop?  

-