• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help.

1974 TII:  Car has not run since 1995   The ignition wiringing is all hacked up and I do not have power to the coil when ignition is in the on position or cranking position.  Car does turn over.

First picture is the wire terminating directly  to the + side of the coil.  There is no resistor as I have seen in some documentation.    The connector has 2 wires.  A red/black and a gold (Yellow)

Hot Wire To Coil.JPG

The red/ black wire combine into shrink wrap with a black wire.  The red/black is cutoff at the other end and doesn't terminate to anything

The black wire Y's off and there is a connector on one leg that terminates to nothing and the other side terminates to a black plastic module  (resistor?)

Black Wire Y to Resistor.JPG

The other end of the black Y'd wire feed into the connector that plugs into the HT Ignition module (?)

Greenwhite termination.JPG

HT Ignition Module.JPG

The Gold (Yellow Wire) combine via shrink wrap with a Green/White wire and both appear to terminate to fuse 12 in the fuse box.

The Green /White wire also terminates to the HT Ignition module plug that can also be seen in the pictures above.

Any help on what I can do to get power to the coil would be most appreciated.

Thank you

BlackRed-Black Combo.JPG

GreenWhite to HT Ignition Box.JPG

Hot Wire To Coil.JPG

Other End of Hot Wire.JPG

Here's the wiring diagram:
  http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw2002tii-usa-1974.pdf

Download and open it up in Adobe, not in a webpage, so you can see the legend.

The Red/Black should be the wire going to the starter, it provides a full +12V to the coil when cranking

The clear wire is most likely a resistor wire, it should run to fuse 12, then to fuse 4, then back to the ignition switch.  It's not actually fused though.

The module and plug you list above looks to be the Time Relay (31 on the wiring diagram), looks like all it does is control the Start Valve (whatever that is)

If you have voltage the input side of Fuse 4 and 12, then you should have a reduced voltage on the clear wire at the coil.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

yeah, that's the earlier version of hackers.  No computers.

Time delay relay controls how long the cold start valve stays open when you start cranking.  Adds extra fuel via the 5th injector.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I looked at the wiring diagram and then the car.    

The main battery terminal is hooked up to the starter.    The starter does turn over.

The other post with the nut on it has nothing connected to it

There are two smaller connectors the one on top of the main battery feed has a white wire connected to it via a slide clip. 

The bottom slide connector has a black wire attached to  it.  

I tried tracing both back and they go into the main wiring loom and then lost in the great black snake of wire.

I assume one of the wires goes to terminal 12 on the fuse box.

I have no idea what the black wire does. 

Based on the wiring diagram there is an additional wire that isn't on the drawing.

Bottom line is what terminal do I terminate the black/red wire from coil to?

Starter wiring Diagram.png