• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Right hand / left hand steering box

Simeon

Now I am down to the last few threads of adjustment on my box so I am starting to think about what to do. 

From external examination the RHD steering box is a mirror image of the LHD steering box which seems logical.  The question is would the internal parts be the same between the two? I wonder if the spiral raceway goes in the opposite direction? Difficult to say without stripping mine down and comparing it with pictures of the innards of a LHD box. 

Does anyone have any experience?

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I did have a look at realoem and the individual parts that are still available consist of bolts, washers, shims and the like (all useful). It also includes bearings but none of the worms or gears. 

I need to check the equivalent for LHD on the assumption that if the parts are shown as available then they will be clearly different to RHD. I know that the worms (for LHD only?) are still available from ECS tuning so maybe that's a sign. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

6 hours ago, Simeon said:

Now I am down to the last few threads of adjustment on my box so I am starting to think about what to do. 

From external examination the RHD steering box is a mirror image of the LHD steering box which seems logical.  The question is would the internal parts be the same between the two? I wonder if the spiral raceway goes in the opposite direction? Difficult to say without stripping mine down and comparing it with pictures of the innards of a LHD box. 

Does anyone have any experience?

No experience, but, looking at the BMW Blue Parts Book, the only differences are the Housing & the Worm.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks Les, that sounds pretty conclusive to me. I will look out for a good RHD box to rebuild. At least you can get the bearings and seals. That's a good start!

rtheriaque wrote: