• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

W&N rubber sway bar mount query

Simeon

Just refitting my sway bar with a new W&N hardware and (rubber) bush set.

The old mounts were split horizontally, which is logical since there is no way that they could be threaded over the 'eye' on the end of the rod but the new rubber mounts I have are unbroken.

IMG_0581.JPG

Happy to split them myself but just checking I am not missing a trick here as to whether the split should be front, back, top, bottom etc. I would rule out top or bottom by inspection but I could be wrong. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

OK, I have the right part and I am not going mad. 

Looking very closely at the blown up and grainy exploded diagram on realoem (what a resource) it looks like the split goes rearward and downward, in a diagonal towards the corner.

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

Now that you've already bought the rubber ones, you might consider buying urethane sway bar mounting and end link bushings.  They won't make your ride harsher but will cause the swaybar to act much faster, since urethane bushings don't compress and rubber ones do.  

If I were splitting new rubber bushings, I'd do 'em the same way as the factory did:  about halfway down on one side.

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I just slit W&N bushings over the weekend. Wondered why they weren't split for about 30 seconds and then said screw it, im slitting these things.

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

5 hours ago, mike said:

Now that you've already bought the rubber ones, you might consider buying urethane sway bar mounting and end link bushings.  They won't make your ride harsher but will cause the swaybar to act much faster, since urethane bushings don't compress and rubber ones do.  

If I were splitting new rubber bushings, I'd do 'em the same way as the factory did:  about halfway down on one side.

mike

I am considering an upgrade from the stock bars at which point this will be an ideal time to go urethane here. 

Just thought I would enjoy the fresh stock rubber as nature intended first!

rtheriaque wrote:

I installed new ones front and rear from w&n I warmed them up with a heat gun and was able to slide on over the eyelet without cutting them...the removed ones we not slit which lead me to believe that it was possible...

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…