• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 TII Electric Fuel Pump Options

buckweber

Original fuel pump is shot.  Can't afford a new TII pump.   Read that a 5 series and/or 3 Series fuel pump will work.  Need to visit junk yard to find a replacement.   Is there specific models, years that I need to look for.

Also....  The original reserve canister is no longer with the car.  Is that needed or can I go with just a pump?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Don't buy a used fuel pump. Buy a new E28 pump. Plenty of info on the install here on the FAQ, probably an article all about it as it's commonly done.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

1 hour ago, OriginalOwner said:

"direct current thingy"

Sorry, poor wording.  I've attached the picture.  I don't know why this dc voltage thing is involved.  Unless it's 74-76 modification.

Thanks to Kreeger for their picture and fantastic site.

DSCF0505.jpg

Wait... is it just the connector?  Edit: Karl, you just said that.  :o     It looks like an electrical component of some sort.  It's what I inserted my spade connectors into.  IMHO, it's much easier to re&re without crimping the original lines.

I covered the whole connection with shrink-tubing.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

1 hour ago, pilotnbr1 said:

does the e28 pump have a built in check valve

All the modern pumps have check valves.  They usually don't hold pressure though, i.e. pressure leaks down pretty fast.  The main purpose of the check valve is so the pump (a positive displacement device) can work.  Without the check valve, the fluid pumped would flow back between pump discharges and the pressure would pulsate like crazy with little or no flow.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, jimk said:

All the modern pumps have check valves.  They usually don't hold pressure though, i.e. pressure leaks down pretty fast.  The main purpose of the check valve is so the pump (a positive displacement device) can work.  Without the check valve, the fluid pumped would flow back between pump discharges and the pressure would pulsate like crazy with little or no flow.

Thanks! 

74 tii
"I know just enough to be dangerous"

• 7 years later...
On 10/17/2016 at 11:28 AM, chargin said:

I used the e28 pump retro fitted to the Tii bracket, then added some jumper wires to mate to the Tii harness

UPDATE:

I had to go up in gauge on the wires, the original Tii harness over heated and stranded me roadside 

Also added a Impact/Roll-Over switch for some additional safety 

IMG_6562.thumb.JPG.b24e9ade3cfa31e4908c61caeed67ae7.JPG

• Like 3

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook