• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rationale for the different armrest designs.

I have a '75, I'm wondering why the drivers and passenger arm rests are different. Is the only thing I can come up with is the passenger can used as a grab handle for stability since he doesn't have a steering wheel to grab onto.

my '74tii has a grab handle on both doors.  The driver's door does not have the up-swoopy thingie that the passenger door has.

Mint,

yes, my passenger-side grab handle assembly interferes when the seat tips forward with the door closed.

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner

31 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

my '74tii has a grab handle on both doors.  The driver's door does not have the up-swoopy thingie that the passenger door has.

This is typical for the USA models.  I sourced a left-side door pull from the UK like that shown by Les, but haven't had the stones to put new holes in my door panel to attach it!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

That was a brilliant feature.

About the E36, they radished it really well- so there are whole generations of lapping day instructors with ruined right

wrists because they took a really good design and absolutely screwed it up.

You could cozy yourself right into the door handle and feel every twitch your victim... errr, 'student'... made,

and not look like you were about to get hurled out the sunroof.

Moral of the story?

About 1992, the Ultimate Driving Machine became the Ultimate Posing Machine.

EXCEPT for the ti!! The ti still got a real handle!  Go frikkin' figure!

Haven't sat right seat in the latest generations, but... well, Bangle, right?

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

35 minutes ago, TobyB said:

That was a brilliant feature.

About the E36, they radished it really well- so there are whole generations of lapping day instructors with ruined right wrists because they took a really good design and absolutely screwed it up.

You could cozy yourself right into the door handle and feel every twitch your victim... errr, 'student'... made,

and not look like you were about to get hurled out the sunroof.

One of the first things I do when preparing to instruct from the passenger seat is reach down with my right hand, gently, and find an area under the seat / seat rail which won't slice my hand open when gripping. Tightly. -KB

Still can't see what warrants the difference. Are all LHD like that? (Misshapen and lacking symmetry?)

Used to have a a W123 Mercedes Benz wagon that had the fly off handbrake on the extreme right hand of the dash. This meant that you had a different door grip handle because you wouldn't be able to pull on the handbrake otherwise. That made sense. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

The driver's side handle on a LHD car gives you a bit more room when you're flailing away at that big bus steering wheel...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

5 hours ago, TobyB said:

The driver's side handle on a LHD car gives you a bit more room when you're flailing away at that big bus steering wheel...

t

I suppose, conceivably, the steering column is not symmetrically located between the two. No problems in using a bus wheel (well, 4 spoke stock wheel) in my car. Seems odd to me that the LHD would be the compromise model but RHD not so much. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/