• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Am I Missing?

rgiles675

It does look perfect.  Tasteful modifications.  Very clean.

If you were to buy a lesser car and create this car, you'd spend that money yourself.

It looks like a fun and trouble-free driver.  I think that is what the owner had in mind and likely why the price is up there.

73 Inka Tii #2762958

It looks very good, If you tried to reproduce this car starting with a decent shell with minimal rust you would easily spend more than $35k.  The real question is will it sell for $35k?  It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept. 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

With the prices continuing to creep up on these cars, it's not a bad strategy for the seller to have a $35K "Buy It Now" button in order to get some "Make Offer" solicitations on the higher end of the spectrum.  He is either going to get his price at $35K, or some less ambitious offers to consider, either way, win/win.  Realistically, is it a $35K car?  For me it isn't, because I believe I could reproduce it for less money.  But for someone else, with a 3rd party doing the work, $35K is a reasonable amount to spend.

IMHO,

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

I disagree with the opinions so far.  Nice car?  Yes.  But the only way for a '76 2002 to get up to that value is to be complete bone stock restored to perfection.  Think about it.  Painted bumpers versus chrome bumpers.  Aftermarket gauges versus perfect originals.  And if I'm being picky, I think the paint should be blocked out better with no "orange peel".  It MIGHT be worth $20k on a good day.

Dan (needs a nap apparently)

3 minutes ago, dang said:

I disagree with the opinions so far.  Nice car?  Yes.  But the only way for a '76 2002 to get up to that value is to be complete bone stock restored to perfection.  Think about it.  Painted bumpers versus chrome bumpers.  Aftermarket gauges versus perfect originals.  And if I'm being picky, I think the paint should be blocked out better with no "orange peel".  It MIGHT be worth $20k on a good day.

Dan (needs a nap apparently)

i agree...regardless of how much anyone spent making that car the only way it would be worth the asking price is if it was 100% original, Pebble Beach original

Yes, Dan, you need a nap.  As we've seen tasteful resto-mods are bringing in very healthy money for reasons I've mentioned in the past.  Anyone who believes a car needs to be concourse-correct to bring in serious money is fooling themselves.  Take a look at a number of recent high-dollar restomod 02 sales.  Then poke your nose over at Singer, Alfaholics, and plenty of others.

Now that being said, I probably need a nap as well.  I agree the orange peel and general finish of this car is not what I'd want.  One would have to strain to use the word "tasteful" when describing some of the changes (gauges, rotas, stereo, manual brakes, interior). To compare it to the Clarion car is .... ambitious.  However, the mechanical parts list looks fantastic, and I'm sure it is a blast to drive.  As mentioned, if you were paying a shop to build a car like this, it would end up costing a lot more than 35k.

Edited by AceAndrew

so...one could assume if a turbo owner did a "resto-mod" making the car look like most other cars with a custom paint color, stripped trim and bumpers that his turbo would be worth more than the current selling price of a turbo...

i'm saying nothing bad about the car, just that i would not consider it over an original, even if i had Warren Buffett's money...it's artificially inflating comps

An ass for every seat, and a sucker is born every minute. Free market condition allows for whatever asking price the seller wants. I am seeing a whole new breed of "buyers" who may not know or care about originality or understand mechanicals, smattered with a little too much spending cash buying these cars for stupid money. Recent comps certainly have all the woodwork buzzing making them bottom feeders shoot for the moon with average cars of various build quality. 

It's a car bubble we be in! 

but what do I know 

faq54b.jpg

But what do I know

4 hours ago, esty said:

so...one could assume if a turbo owner did a "resto-mod" making the car look like most other cars with a custom paint color, stripped trim and bumpers that his turbo would be worth more than the current selling price of a turbo...

No, you are looking at two different market tangents (a rare concourse historic car and then a restomod).  Once again, take Singer for example.  They aren't starting with a 964 Turbo, they are starting with your straight forward 964 Carrera or Targa.  Icon would be another great example with their Bronco.

Con's got it though.  There have been some properly well done restomods that saw some decent money recently.  Now you've got bottom feeders (and a bunch of late model indy shops or sema-show-types) looking for street-credit and/or cash in.

14 hours ago, esty said:

so...one could assume if a turbo owner did a "resto-mod" making the car look like most other cars with a custom paint color, stripped trim and bumpers that his turbo would be worth more than the current selling price of a turbo.

Yeah...Wait...Whaa?

COOP