• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Am I Missing?

rgiles675

Okay, good logic.  I guess I shouldn't have said "the only way" a car like this could be worth that much.  I agree that some resto-mods bring big bucks, but for $35k it would have to be a HOLY CRAP type of car in my book.  I'm also biased because I personally don't like that car.

I have seen 2002s that I liked a lot more for 15k less, the cost of membership to this club is going up every day...I'm not sure it would be worth 35K if it was in a time capsule since new and opened today...

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

I wonder if it'll sell.

I have seen 2002s that I liked a lot more for 15k less,

This.  But then, around here C-listers are asking 3-5k for what I used to pay $500 or less for.

So the whole shebang's gone up, some.  

And dang, there are some bodywork detail compromises that I wouldn't be able to live with for a lot less $$$.

Curious,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Not only all of the above, but there's a dent in the center grill! Yeesh!

I kinda hope the seller can get his price, and kinda don't. I'll be out of '02s if every replacement part gets stupid expensive like Porsches. The '02 is pretty much about the last affordable classic Euro sedanster (just made that one up) that appeals to my basic sense of fun driving. I just want to drive mine again someday.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

1 hour ago, 2002Scoob said:

I say let the values climb. If we all own one (or more) we should be so happy. I'm personally glad to have gotten in towards the beginning of the upswing, and would love to see our cars continue to climb in value.

This is always an interesting subject.  It only matters if you're buying or selling.  Kinda like the housing bubble/crash when a lot of people were upside down in their houses.  I know a handful of people who just kept paying their mortgage and now their house is worth more than before the crash.  The people who walked away from their house shouldn't have been able to buy them in the first place.  Whoa, I'm off topic all of a sudden!  Since I've always been better at buying projects instead of finishing them, this upturn in value is harder for me to live with...

Dan

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

This.  But then, around here C-listers are asking 3-5k for what I used to pay $500 or less for.

This is my biggest source of angst with the recent inflationary bubble. I don't mind when good cars go for good money. Shit, those who know, know how much money and effort goes into building a half way quality car. But the rusted, beat-to-hell, abused, neglected, sob story barn finds on CL just bugs me big time. Sadly the bottom feeder parts guys want in too. Here in the Bay Area on CL, a guy wanted $100 for a pair of wiper arms. 

I really should get the jump on 70's AMC platforms before that bubble begins.

but what do I know

faq15.jpg

But what do I know

...but go back and get it to SORT OF line up, first...

...and then sight along the bottom of the driver's door and tell me that's all solid in there....

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The car looks very nice to me.  Amazing how much money you can put into any vehicle and it still will need more.  The sky's the limit. 

Just watched "Bitchin Rides" last night where the owner of a gorgeous 69 Camaro brought the unfinished car from TX and had the shop make some tweaks.  The car had a new beautiful, custom-mix red paint job with white stripes and a new GM crate motor.   Kindig and his shop modified the bumpers, shaved the side markers and ended up completely repainting the exterior (along with making many other custom interior and engine bay treatments). The owner absolutely loved the end result and put the hammer down in a secluded parking lot that sees lots of action.  God knows how much $$$ that guy spent - but he was seriously happy.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"