• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Texting and driving leads to this

arminyack

I am so sorry to hear/see this... ☹️
Glad you are ok!

I always get so nervous when I'm driving and I see the driver behind me on their phone .... I usually put on the hazards on Tesoro to get their attention when I'm braking.... seems to work ok so far... need to get a 3rd brake light soon....

Good luck with sorting this accident out. Wishing it all goes smoothly for you!

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

Just today, I was rear-ended in my '72 by an SUV with damage similar to yours.  Very pleasant woman said her foot slipped off the brake pedal slowing down for a light; I was stopped.  My 2002, newly restored has about 600 miles on it.

So it goes . . . .

Fran Ferrance

Paradise CA

Dang!  two in the same day...I think we had all better get a Cibie Oscar driving light, dye the lens red and mount it on our trunk lids as a third brake light.  It may not help the texter see us, but he/she'll be blinded when they finally look up!

Sorry for your mishap, Fran.  Now I'm gonna get paranoid--Ludwig goes into hibernation in a couple of days, hopefully intact!

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had the exact same thing happen to me about 25 years ago but on the drivers side of the car. Not texting but driver behind me not paying attention at a stop sign.  It was during the vintage weekend at the Glen so I had to drive around the whole weekend with a buckled quarter and rear panel.  It was not too difficult to fix.  Got an estimate and the person who did it paid in full, no insurance involved (I got lucky in that respect).  Good luck & keep us posted on the fix.  From another fellow 1600 owner!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Glad to hear you weren't injured.   I lost a Volvo 1800 in the same manner a couple of years ago.  Amazingly, his insurance company came through rather generously.  At that point I once again started to bug the owner of the 18-year-dormant '75 Malaga.  The old guy finally relented, and now I enjoy it almost every day.  

101_0326.JPG

Driving to account for the idiots around us has never been more important. 

I make it a point to see the driver's eyes in the cars around me as well as the cars pulling on to the road I'm on.   I will pull over or turn if the person behind me gives me any indication they are less than engaged.

Eyes down BAD!

Eyes up Good!! 

Stuart