• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie seeks car-buying advice

Hmm.  Interesting discussion on the seat-height problem.  Most of my height is in my legs, not my spine, so moving the seat back tends to be more important than moving the seat downward.  Also, keeping in mind that I'm also used to my hair brushing the headliner of every car I've ever been in... Really I just need to sit in one. 

Thanks for the ideas on the possible flexibility (e30/Procar vs. stock, possible custom mounts, etc)!   One of the things that I love about 2002s is their adaptability. 

Hello newbie, I have driven my 1970 roundie to work for almost two years now. Granted, this car was a professional restoration from scratch. My car is a 5 speed stick, sunroof, sports suspension, disc brake upgrade, electronic ignition, and in simply great condition. It never left me anywhere. If interested, send me a msg. Funny enough, I am restoring a Volvo 122 and will not put the money into that. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have owns a 75 2002 for 30 years. Not a daily driver, but a street / track car.

Did many upgrades over the years myself since it is a basic car. You don't

need a computer to find out what's wrong. I love driving this car and wonder

why I do it more. These cars are very strong, but not designed for crash

protection. As for the 6'7" I put 320i recaro seats in mine and have plenty of

headroom with my helmet on. Seat can go back almost too much for my 6'

size. I put a CR 5 speed with a 320i lsd 3.90 diff and can go 100 mph on the

highway (but I don't do that much). Most important is NO RUST!!!

I would not recommend an 02 as a daily driver. Too many big SUV's and pickups with distracted drivers texting and one hit, your 02 is totaled, AMHIK.  I would get an E28 or E30 5-speed as your daily driver and look for an 02 as a fun weekend canyon carver car. Just my.02 cents worth.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Road trip:  Yes.  I expect to do a lot of the upkeep and modification work myself.  That's one of the primary reasons why I'm looking into a car without a computer interface.  I miss my 1966 Volvo and how empowered I felt whenever anything went wrong.  Opening the hood of my Honda Civic is like visiting a foreign country.  Time to go back to basics.  (I just don't want to endanger my daughter in the process by giving up airbags, crumple zones and the like.) 

One of the reasons why I like 2002s specifically is that there is such an ability to tune it to my liking, with a wealth of information on how to do so.  Thanks to everyone for the feeling of community!