• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Basic sound system for my 2002

danco_

What have you done for a sound system in your 2002? I'm getting ready to buy something to install into the 2002, but have never dealt with a working sound system in these cars. I've ripped them out, but never put one in.

What I'm after:

-Simple bluetooth receiver headunit powerful enough to handle four speakers.

-6x9" in the rear parcel shelf?

-2 more speakers in the front somewhere, preferably hidden and not visible (not in the front footwells).

Again, something basic but non-invasive. I will even try to hide the bluetooth head unit. I don't want to see it, but want to be able to access it if necessary. 

Has this been on someone's agenda recently? I want to budget no more than $500 for components. I would think that today's head units can power the speakers efficiently without the need for a crossover or amp. Or should I add bass under the passenger rear seat a la eurotrash? 

I need guidance. 

Thank you,

Ryan

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

IMHO 6x9's in the rear deck is a mistake. 5-6" 2 way speakers is sufficient. Front/lower corner of doors: You can fit 5" speakers, providing decent sound while not being in the way, and not very visible. Head unit options are plentiful. Unless you have AC in the console, making space tight.

Adding a subwoofer means adding an amp. Have you upgraded your alternator?

Good luck-

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

I'm in love with my setup.

I did 6.5 inch components in the rear parcel shelf (took some cutting)
cba31b173d877f2107bd699b1469c055.jpg
d1dfaf56766eba802d5a37bcbd98f286.jpg
d5baef1dcec63476931494bb7b163181.jpg
But I ran the tweeters up to the top corners of the dash instead. You can see em in this photo.
daa1b38cb1d3fe626496f25aaeb42998.jpg

I put in a factory Bavaria single speaker dash unit, but that doesn't go to the big speakers, it's just there for looks and hearing local stations all old fashioned sounding.

Instead, I've got a Bluetooth module under the rear seat to wirelessly connect with my phone.
All this is made possible by what's in the trunk- a Focal I-bus 2.1 powered subwoofer that also has a 2 channel built in amp to power the mid-range.

fdb4260700048167828d6311683b7aa1.jpg

This thing is great... reeaaaallly good sound, tons of adjustment, and quite acceptable bass. It'll quickly point out any rattles you didn't know were there.

The best part- I did the flip up ash-tray charger mod, so I can plug my phone in, keep it charged, and have on-the-dash navigation/music selection.
e0448ee5d70308b7da4597b3b98fd2ce.jpg

As sislane said, I'm also not a fan of 6x9's. I know they pump out allot of sound, but they look out of place and require serious cutting to fit.

Part of why I like my separated components, is there's no need to cut holes in your door panels, or sacrifice footwell space for kick panels. The sound stage is perfectly adequate.

I've just ordered a compact blaupunkt subwoofer.  It will go under the passenger front seat.  The old owner put some 6" speakers in the door cards (oh dear) and some 6" in the rear parcel shelf.  I've got a kenwood Bluetooth head unit waiting to go in also so can charge the iPhone and play songs.   Also has a hands free phone which is handy as there are big fines here for using the phone without a handsfree device.  

1974 2002 2.2stroker, DCOE45's, 300deg cam, 5 spd, 3.91 LSD // 1984 E24 M635csi, dogleg 5spd 3.23 LSD. // 1994 E34 540i, supercharged 16psi, 6spd E85 only, 3.15 LSD // 1997 E36 M3 Evo, low comp supercharged 18psi 6spd (under construction)

I have used Woody's custom shop hidden stereos in 2 of my cars.

I use this model in my cars but its only 2 channels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Classic-Car-Glove-Box-Stereo-Hidden-Secret-Audio-System-iPod-iPhone-/361756700330?hash=item543a612eaa:m:mEdEBFCORH0vc68o-9Ym0rw&vxp=mtr

rps20160124_195758_449.jpg

Here is their 4 channel version, but its just a 3.5mm input which you will then have to wire with a $10 blue tooth receiver to 3.5mm adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hidden-Secret-Stealth-iPod-MP3-Classic-Car-Stereo-4-Speaker-Channel-Audio-System-/232108652596?hash=item360ac0f834:m:mg62aY5uPvi_LPZKocIDESQ&vxp=mtr

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

I can't recommend Jason (eurotrash) rear speaker pods enough. I've got his full setup, but only have the rear speakers and sub hooked up. Saying it sounds great is an understatement.

I run clarion EQ as a headunit, has two inputs, one for a bluetooth module, one for a 3.5 aux cord. EQ runs to a 5 chanel amp. Sounds great, pairs instantly, hides pretty well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020EQS755/Clarion-EQS755.html?search=clarion_eq&skipvs=T

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13691126/JL-Audio-MBT-RX.html

If keeping a stock appearance and not cutting holes are your goal, what about a smart phone and a Bose Bluetooth speaker? You could do the ashtray mod for the phone that has been posted previously, and even hard wire the speaker behind the stock grill on a shorty center console. I haven't done this myself, but I've thought about it if I ever wanted a stock look.  

Also, Retrosound sells modern head units with old school looks and other gear to keep things hidden: https://www.retromanufacturing.com

Last, flush mouniting speakers on the parcel shelf and covering them with acoustic fabric is a great way to hide them. The PO on my car did this and it looks completely stealth. I'll take some pics and post them for reference.

James

Ps. also a big fan of Eurotrash's stuff and the sub is on my wish/todo list.

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

2 hours ago, dasfrogger said:

I run clarion EQ as a headunit, has two inputs, one for a bluetooth module, one for a 3.5 aux cord. EQ runs to a 5 chanel amp. Sounds great, pairs instantly, hides pretty well.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020EQS755/Clarion-EQS755.html?search=clarion_eq&skipvs=T

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_13691126/JL-Audio-MBT-RX.html

That Clarion EQ is exactly what I am using for my new 2.0 system.  Sent you a message Ryan.

Ryan.  There are a slew of guys out your way with the Bolt on Bliss parts in their cars. I am sure you can find someone that can give you a demo. 

www.boltonbliss.com, if you need to see more. 

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

Here is a system I am working on for a customer.  Becker head unit, with BT/wired input capability, injected into the antenna input on the head unit,  and 4.1 speaker kit..

I am building the wiring from scratch and delivering it as a plug and play system. 

4.1withVintageHeadUnit.jpg

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

I run a 1973 Blaupunkt Frankfurt to a Memphis Audio amp in the trunk and drive 2 6x9s in the back seat kick panel and 4x4s in custom made aluminum under dash panels. Then have a 7 pin plug in the back of the head unit to an aux plug in the glove compartment with an iLive bluetooth receiver plugged into aux power velcroed above the glove box.

Radio.jpg

mp3 power.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

Passenger Side.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Ryan,

here is some info from my install and other stereo installs. Number one. No hear unit you buy will have enough power to drive the speakers at levels where you will be able to hear music at speeds over 40 mph. "High power" head units are rated at best 50x4 watts. That's 12.5 per speaker. And they have sooo much distortion that it's really more like 7.5 clean watts. That's the important number because after that it's distortion. So yes you will need an amp. The good news is that class D Amps are cheap and have plenty of power.  Some are nice and clean. So I would budget an amp. If you want a clean look I'd actually do a Becker Europa II. Vintage look and it's got an aux in that you can use an iPhone for your music. Connect that to an amp and you are golden. With speakers less is more. So unless you NEED rear speakers don't do it. The thing about rear speakers is simple. The more speakers you have the more problems you have with phase or timing between low and high frequencies. Since high frequencies travel faster than low frequencies you have the problem of the sound arriving at the listener at different times. To the listener this sounds like muddy, poorly defined audio where as properly timed audio is crisp and clear. The more speakers the more exaggerated the timing is. This is why recording studios use 2 way speakers not 3 or 4 or 5 way. They are less accurate the more speakers you add. Also when you have frequencies bouncing around at different times plying the same things they can cancel out leaving holes or gaps where you lose part of the audio spectrum. You can overcome that with more power as well as equalization but that's more money and work to get right. So I would suggest properly placed 2 way speakers preferably separates so you can place the low and high frequency speakers properly and a sub for energy and to fill in the low frequencies that 2 ways won't handle. If you want you can listen to my car. Great sound and lots of power so I can be on the freeway with the windows down and enjoy the music. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Great post, very helpful! If going with front speakers only, how much power do you recommend, and where would you place the speakers?  It seems quite difficult, as most don't want to cut door panels anymore, yet there isn't really any other place to put speakers that have a fighting chance of getting the music to your ears.  Tweeter pods could be mounted in the dash I guess, but I'm still lost as to where to place the mids.  Is the footwell the only option?

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT