• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Basic sound system for my 2002

danco_

In the past for a hidden system, all I did was put a simple amp (70 watt) under the dash somewhere with a mini jack cord going into the input side. This gave me any MP3/Iphone/iPod service, which is all I listen to.  For the 2002 I intend on doing the same thing except using a bluetooth input (you can find them from PartsExpress) going into the amp.

Since my parcel shelf has issues already, cutting it up to add speaker pods does not give me any grief, and saves my doors from cutting.

Zach

On November 1, 2016 at 5:35 AM, Ian said:

Great post, very helpful! If going with front speakers only, how much power do you recommend, and where would you place the speakers?  It seems quite difficult, as most don't want to cut door panels anymore, yet there isn't really any other place to put speakers that have a fighting chance of getting the music to your ears.  Tweeter pods could be mounted in the dash I guess, but I'm still lost as to where to place the mids.  Is the footwell the only option?

I put the separates in the doors.  Yes I cut my used door cards...its just a car...lol...I have a 85x4 amp and 270 watts going to a sub.  I could bridge the 4 channels to 2 and push about 130 to the doors but I don't need that much power.  

Here is my doors....6.5" mid bass driver in the lower corner and the tweeter up top.

picture-15.thumb.jpg.7d8aff50865e6beeb20c978a0a19bd10.jpg

I have Eurotrash's under rear seat sub box with a 8" Alpine Type R 8" sub.  

20140703-123029-45029380.jpg

Powering it all with a Soundstream TN950.5D amp...

20140603-082742-30462154-e14018096132521

Edited by jrhone

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

I went a slightly different direction.  I didn't want to fill my dash with a DIN deck, didn't need competition quality,  and wanted my AFR gauge to fit somewhere.  I haven't been able to find an old 2 shaft radio, so:

I ended up with and ebay fm/usb/sd/bluetooth/line in device (with remote)  ~$10, and a single board 15w amp $19 (go bigger if you want).  I scared up some 6x9 sparkomatic for the exiting holes cut in the rear parcel shelf.  You want 4 channel, so buy two amps and build a fader circuit.  For the amount of wind noise, it works just fine for me.

Toggle switch in the corner, directly to fused v+ (no need for key to be on, great when working in the garage), line in wired (but never used), and a tiny 8GB usb key stuffed with random music.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Remote-Control-USB-SD-FM-MP3-Player-Module-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Module-12V-/171325940583?hash=item27e3d26367:g:F1wAAOxyBotTbxrs

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Assembled-Class-D-AMP-TA2024-HIFI-Amplifier-board-2x-15W-DC12V-/121651177140?hash=item1c52f9a6b4:g:fQ8AAOSwNSxVVDbp

The head is small enough you could hide anywhere.  The amps are pretty small and low profile.

Next time (or later), I'd add a volume pot, since the lack of buttons make it a bit of a pain to adjust volume with out the remote.

Googley eyes are optional

You're on your own for speaker location.

IMG_20160226_153916.jpg

18 hours ago, jrhone said:

I put the separates in the doors.  Yes I cut my used door cards...its just a car...lol...I have a 85x4 amp and 270 watts going to a sub.  I could bridge the 4 channels to 2 and push about 130 to the doors but I don't need that much power.  

Here is my doors....6.5" mid bass driver in the lower corner and the tweeter up top.

picture-15.jpg

I have Eurotrash's under rear seat sub box with a 8" Alpine Type R 8" sub.  

20140703-123029-45029380.jpg

Powering it all with a Soundstream TN950.5D amp...

20140603-082742-30462154-e14018096132521

This all sounds interesting, but I can't see the pics.  I had separates in my doors, and 13 years ago I bought new door cards for my (endless) restoration.  Now that I'm close to needing a stereo again, the cut or don't cut dilemma rises!

Edited by Ian

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

42 minutes ago, Ian said:

This all sounds interesting, but I can't see the pics.  I had separates in my doors, and 13 years ago I bought new door cards for my (endless) restoration.  Now that I'm close to needing a stereo again, the cut or don't cut dilemma rises!

Don't cut.

For the love of all things, don't cut. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

great discussion and great options.  My 02 came with 6x9's already cut in the rear shelf.  It also came with a non-functioning amp under the rear seat and two front speakers cut into the front door panels.  I replaced the rear speakers, tossed the amp and bought new door panels.  I added two front speakers which I hung in the upper recesses of the front footwells.  I added a Sony receiver that has all the needed bells and whistles and plenty of power.  Sound is great under 50 - ha.  In the summer with the windows down, it sounds great up to about 40mph.  When it is cooler and the windows are up, my wife is usually with me on a road trip.... do I need to say more

Jeff

• Like 1

I went a slightly different direction.  I didn't want to fill my dash with a DIN deck, didn't need competition quality,  and wanted my AFR gauge to fit somewhere.  I haven't been able to find an old 2 shaft radio, so:

I ended up with and ebay fm/usb/sd/bluetooth/line in device (with remote)  ~$10, and a single board 15w amp $19 (go bigger if you want).  I scared up some 6x9 sparkomatic for the exiting holes cut in the rear parcel shelf.  You want 4 channel, so buy two amps and build a fader circuit.  For the amount of wind noise, it works just fine for me.

Toggle switch in the corner, directly to fused v+ (no need for key to be on, great when working in the garage), line in wired (but never used), and a tiny 8GB usb key stuffed with random music.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Remote-Control-USB-SD-FM-MP3-Player-Module-Bluetooth-Audio-Receiver-Module-12V-/171325940583?hash=item27e3d26367:g:F1wAAOxyBotTbxrs

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Assembled-Class-D-AMP-TA2024-HIFI-Amplifier-board-2x-15W-DC12V-/121651177140?hash=item1c52f9a6b4:g:fQ8AAOSwNSxVVDbp

The head is small enough you could hide anywhere.  The amps are pretty small and low profile.

Next time (or later), I'd add a volume pot, since the lack of buttons make it a bit of a pain to adjust volume with out the remote.

Googley eyes are optional

You're on your own for speaker location.

IMG_20160226_153916.thumb.jpg.08448d451ddf619f667dd328238c946b.jpg

Hah, are those the new lateral acceleration gauges with that new Gooley-eye Technology? And a triple cluster, no less! I just noticed them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've got a question for you guys,

How many of you with your powered sub setups are still running Factory Alternators? 

I ask, because as some of you know my car is still inoperable after a mechanic screwing up the Cylinder head rebuild (now in a slow, tedious lawsuit.) So I installed it and use it to listen to music when I'm working on the car doing other things, but so far have only run it off of the trickle charger, never with the motor running.

I'm really not concerned, but just curious about at what point people have felt the need to upgrade their charging system.

2 hours ago, 2002Scoob said:

So, I've got a question for you guys,

How many of you with your powered sub setups are still running Factory Alternators? 

As far as I know, I'm on my original alternator.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

On 10/31/2016 at 8:30 AM, mlytle said:

I had an electronic sound system in my car. ....then I upgraded to a 2.5in custom exhaust system and am not going back! 

;) I have to agree here, although my method was different. Put a turbo on the M10 and it will sing a song you will never get tired of!

Might not be what you are looking for, but if you are planning on hiding it and don't want to mess with too much DIY stuff, I just installed last years version of this HU http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X390BT/Pioneer-MVH-X390BT.html?search=mvh-x390bt&skipvs=T

Because it doesn't play CDs it is very small, only a few inches deep, it may make it easier to hide it if you are going that route.

+1 on Pioneer mvh-x390bt solution.

I used Polk DXi651 in rear deck and DXi521's in doors. Look for best prices on eBay or sale at Crutchfield. 

Holes were already in door cards but had to trim a little sheet metal in door to make 5" speakers fit properly.  Had to trim rear deckshelf structure too.   Note: Watch out for fuel vapor collection tank if cutting rear deck if you still have/want that tank. Love my Dremel tool!!

Overall sound quality lacks deep gut rumbling bass. But with this Pioneer unit you can add a subwoofer or amps.

I also added a layer of carpet underlayment to the inside of the door card.  I like a quite car and this was a CHEAP solution to my cabin road noise. One roll of carpet underlayment from HD covered both doors, floor and area behind rear seats.

Finally, this will sound silly but,  @65-70 mph (4K RPM) with windows wide open (I'm in SoCal) I often wear $12 Etymotic earplugs and crank the stereo up. The earplugs cut the wind and engine noise, protect my ears and the music comes through quite clearly. 

Good hunting. 

1974  02  Inka

1975  02  Chaminoix (parts car)

1995  318ti  Hellrot