• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 2002 Colorado - select clas sics

beach2002

8 hours ago, willosorio said:

way too pricey for the quality of the work...

i'm neither friend nor foe of select classics but what is your assessment of the quality of the work based on....

have you seen the car, spoken to someone knowledgeable that has

what's wrong with the quality of the work & what is the right price for the car based on your observations

16 minutes ago, esty said:

i'm neither friend nor foe of select classics but what is your assessment of the quality of the work based on....

have you seen the car, spoken to someone knowledgeable that has

what's wrong with the quality of the work & what is the right price for the car based on your observations

Good point.

Not just that, we are so used to cheap 2002s that we somehow expect so much out of a $19k car all of a sudden. We want a show car for $19k with documents and what not! We are just too spoiled, when in reality if you compare these cars to say a Porsche 911 or a 912 in similar shape and similar year would cost 3 times more. Some may say the Porsches are completely in a different league because they are air cooled and such but I owned both a 911 and a 912 back in the 90s and performance are very comparable to a 2002 specially how much modification you can do to the Falkenhousen power plant without spending a fortune. There are simply not many classics in the 2002 category+practiality+affordability. Only thing comes to mind is a MG which is slower and less reliable (prone to catching fire).

Now, I am not defending select classic but just trying to make sense when people start complaining about a $19k car. Imagine the select classic outfit, how many over heads there and how much expense they have to go through to build a $19k car? I don't think they are making much money on these projects.

All the best to everyone.

Steve, it happened to me! I was at a drive through in college in 100 degree summer day with my 1969 MGB and while waiting, I noticed smoke, smoke and more smoke from under the hood. The car was still running and I couldn't get forward or back because of people in front and behind me who simply refused to move (they wanted their sandwich, who could blame them). I shut the car off immediately but damage was done! The wiring somehow caught fire. Luckily the fast food people noticed and ran out with extinguishers! Or else could have been a lot worse. I never owned a British car ever since but occasionally do dream about a DB4 to own someday. I do like the lines of a xke but too terrified to own a feline.

Not trying to start anything or make that company look bad.. Just looking out for any members on here that are on the market. He asked what we thought and here it goes: 

Tape line above windshield looks bad. 

Paint finish also doesn't look great. 

Left lower quarter body line also looks very off and YES you can clearly see these flaws in the pictures.. I don't have to go in person to see these things. if it were me and I saw these things that would make me question the overall quality of the work.. and thats just pointing a few things out. also this was NOT a full restoration so for 20k you might as well buy a decent stock 2002 and have a shop do the exterior properly.. of course you won't find a properly restored 2002 for 20k but this isn't that.. also, you usually don't make back your money or all the labor hours after you sell a restored car so that shouldn't even be mentioned unless you're gwtting paid by someone to build it from the ground up by the hour. All I'm saying is, for 20k, I've seen a lot cleaner examples.. like you said though, they probably aren't making much on it so of course you can't go all out on the body/paint.. 

The chrome trim above the windows has been painted Orange.  That is a pretty glaring issue IMO.  And the chrome on the drivers side highlights that the body / door is completely misaligned.  If the glaringly obvious details are overlooked, what does that say about the potential for other things that were overlooked?

I was interested in one a while back that had been "restored" by them only to have a subsequent owner have to spend $10k fixing problems.  I would not pay premium dollars for any of their cars.  They appear to be a shop with a volume based business model.

35 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Look how well this sold

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-bmw-2002-19/

The market spoke.

:)

I'm thinking when presented receipts total a lot more than the car is worth, one might just catch the big fish at half the price. 

Lesson, when the shop invoices are for twice the value the yield is half the price. Seems like the proper ratio. 

But what do I know.

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know

3 minutes ago, conkitchen said:

I'm thinking when presented receipts total a lot more than the car is worth, one might just catch the big fish at half the price. 

Lesson, when the shop invoices are for twice the value the yield is half the selling price. Seems like the proper ratio. 

But what do I know.

Yeah.

You should build another.

I'll buy it from you when you're done.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

34 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Yeah.

You should build another.

I'll buy it from you when you're done.

:D

Thought about it for a minute. 

Ray-My receipts totaled close to the selling price and did not factor in any of the ungodly amount of time and shop favors I used sorting the car over 11 years. Aint doing that no mas. All in All any profit was like a nickle or seven cents. 

memory.jpg

But what do I know