• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mlcrum

4 hours ago, Hans said:

i think the larger problem with ethanol fuel is leaving it in the tank for more than a few months. While i read about rubber degradation, has anyone actually experienced that? As Mlytle points out, most old rubber lines should have been replaced, but are we sure that newer fuel pumps, for example, are built with appropriate ethanol-resistant diaphragms? Our Shell premium in Canada is zero ethanol, and that's all I use (especially for winter storage). Have to say though, cars haven't so far exploded when I drive in US on corn syrup.

The diaphragm in my '76's ca. 2012 fuel pump was shot after only two+ years of service.  Absent other convenient scapegoats, I blamed the problem on ethanol and now use a fuel additive.  Who knows?

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I am lucky enough to have a local station that carries Sunoco non ethanol 91 octane.  Have been using additives for the past 5 years or so with the ethanol but since I have access to non ethanol 91, no problems (Knock on wood!)

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)