• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

name that colour?! Custom or Not

larryt

Larry,

It's not a great photo from which to judge.  It has green, blue, and whatever overtones, but some of those might simply be reflecting the surroundings and sky.  The closest '02 color might be Nevada -- which looks different in different settings -- but I'd find it very difficult to opine that this is Nevada based solely on this photograph.  And it might be a stock BMW color, but simply not from the '02 years...

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Agree with Steve--very difficult to judge from this photo.  I would have considered Bristol (a pale-ish grey more associated with NK sedans and early 1600s than 2002s) at first, but looking closer, it may well be Nevada, photographed in odd ambient light.  Owning a Nevada car I well know it's a tricky color to photograph, being a dirt color.  

The interior appears to be tobacco, which would have been used on a Nevada (but not a Bristol) car.  And Bristol wasn't an offered color for US spec 2002s--unless the car was ordered directly from the factory (military or diplomatic) and not through Hoffman.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I am a bit curious where you found that photo, seeing as how someone went through some work to cover up the original watermark.

That is Bruce's car, and it is painted Bristol.  He's done some neat things to the car. 

http://iemotorsport.com/gallery/v/car-of-month/October+2013+-+Bruce+Carr+-+1969+2002/?g2_page=1

http://www.stanceworks.com/2014/10/bruce-carrs-bristol-gray-1969-bmw-2002/

Edited by AceAndrew

Obviously bristol is tricky to photograph, too.

Here it might be derby gray:

DSC_0395derby.jpg

And here pastel blue, perhaps:

DSC_0395pastel.jpg

Definitely pastel:

DSC_0395pasteldef.jpg

This remembers me to Gordon's nevada car:

DSC_0395nevada.jpg

This is nothing else than chamoa or alpin white:

DSC_0395shamoa.jpg

Here I agree, it's bristol:

DSC_0395bristol.jpg