• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Shooting Out the Exhaust - SOLVED!!!

02Coastie

The main galley is below the water jacket, way down in there.  Pretty uncrackable that way.

And then there's the head gasket- it's designed to keep hundreds of psi of combustion

pressure in the chambers- a weenie 60 psi's not going to force its way back in...

This is going to take more forensics on the victim...

<edit>

Wait, I know-

that nipple on #3 intake runner's supposed to go to the brake booster, NOT the valve cover breather!

I'm a genius on the internet!  ;)

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

And Toby for the win! Well actually Terry Tinney and his network of gurus figured it out earlier this morning. I just got back to the shop and unbolted the master cylinder. See the attached video for the results. 

While I am annoyed that I didn't take a breath to think things through, I honestly don't know if I would have figured it out without assistance. The brake fluid was a dead ringer for engine oil, especially after passing through half the exhaust system. However, it makes complete sense once I think through the steps that occurred. Right before I pulled out to take it for a test drive, I pumped the brakes a number of times. I remember thinking it was weird since I bled the brakes just a few days prior (with a  pressure bleeder). Obviously the pressure bleeder loaded up the booster. Once I pumped the brakes, it delivered a huge shot of fluid into the engine and I got the smoke. I'm relieved that it isn't something more sinister. Once I R&R the master cylinder we should be back on the road.

Thanks again to everyone's assistance with this mystery. 

IMG_5521.MOV

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

1 hour ago, 02Coastie said:

The brake fluid was a dead ringer for engine oil, especially after passing through half the exhaust system.

Shame that you had to tear things out before determining the cause.  But good, nonetheless, that the mystery has been solved.

A couple of lingering questions.  I originally questioned whether you had actually checked the sump volume to determine whether that was the source of the tailpipe "oil".  Reading your responses, I presumed the answer was affirmative.  Since the source of the tailpipe "oil" has now been identified as brake fluid, was the reservoir significantly low, or was the source, fluid that had accumulated in the booster?  Lastly, did you experience any symptoms prior to the engine work or was the master cylinder leak a recent phenomenon?

8 minutes ago, avoirdupois said:

Shame that you had to tear things out before determining the cause.  But good, nonetheless, that the mystery has been solved.

A couple of lingering questions.  I originally questioned whether you had actually checked the sump volume to determine whether that was the source of the tailpipe "oil".  Reading your responses, I presumed the answer was affirmative.  Since the source of the tailpipe "oil" has now been identified as brake fluid, was the reservoir significantly low, or was the source, fluid that had accumulated in the booster?  Lastly, did you experience any symptoms prior to the engine work or was the master cylinder leak a recent phenomenon?

I did not check the sump for oil quantity. Based on the amount, I don't think I would have been able to measure out the change. The master cylinder reservoir was only a hair low, leading me to second guess my theory when I first got back to the car. However, when I unbolted the master cylinder, a TON of fluid came out. I wouldn't be surprised if the booster was nearly full. Clearly the pressure bleeder filled the booster to capacity past the bad seals. No indications of brake issues up to this point, but the master cylinder appears original, and the car has been stationary for almost 2.5 years. 

"Sabine" 1976 Polaris / Navy - 12+ year Inop Ebay Find. Now with Microsquirt and Cold A/C. 

I hate to mention it, because the lawyers would have a field day with this, but one of the diagnostic 

tools I use is...

taste.

Brake fluid tastes a lot nastier than oil.

But different than coolant.

Obviously, don't drink it, just dip your finger in, and touch it to the tip of your tongue.

Then  spit.  A lot.

Glad you found it.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

I hate to mention it, because the lawyers would have a field day with this, but one of the diagnostic 

tools I use is...

taste.

Obviously, don't drink it, just dip your finger in, and touch it to the tip of your tongue.

Then  spit.  A lot.

Glad you found it.

t

This explains a lot about you, Toby.

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

tools I use is...

taste.

Then  spit.  A lot.

Glad you found it.

t

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

28 minutes ago, OriginalOwner said:

OK, just to be clear:  please humor this retired Navy guy and explain how brake fluid gets into the exhaust system and goes out the tailpipe  ??  Via that rubber hose from the brake booster connected to the intake plenum ??  Then through the cylinders, etc etc ??

Cheers,

Carl

Exactly.  I'm running an E30 EFI manifold. The brake booster gets its vacuum from a port on the NR3 intake runner. The booster was filled with fluid due to a failed master cylinder that leaked when I hooked up my pressure bleeder.