• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Wheel Inquiry?

Guest dq48

Today I purchased this identical wheel in perfect condition,with other '02 parts.  I'm curious about what it fits, and curious about the myth that the supplier for BMW at the time burned down and they had to go to a different supplier, and used these instead. As a history buff,anyone have input?

steering wheel.jpg

The steering wheel you have is one of several varieties of the "sport" steering wheel--but the only one used on US spec cars, and then only in 1970 and possibly early in 1971.  They also came with pierced spokes and wood rims--but those weren't used on US cars. 

And--at least this is according to the late Michel Poteau (the original 2002 guru)--the company that supplied the plastic "bus wheels" used on all the other US roundies either had a strike or a fire and weren't available for some time.  Given the length of time they weren't available, the fire story sounds more plausible.  

Nice wheel, BTW...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

18 minutes ago, mike said:

The steering wheel you have is one of several varieties of the "sport" steering wheel--but the only one used on US spec cars, and then only in 1970 and possibly early in 1971.

I have one of these wheels as well.  It came on my '71.  How much do these go for?

-

that's one of my favorites of the stock steering wheel options for the round taillight cars.  I switched back to using the stock plastic "bus wheel" on my '73tii and I love it.  I "went back to stock" on the interior too, so having a stock wheel just feels right.  Looks like you scored.a very nice wheel.  Those are hard to come by in excellent condition.

Cheers,

John 

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I have that Steering Wheel in my 1600.  It was not the original.  The original was the big plastic Bus Wheel and I hated it.  I found the smaller one in a '68 2002 that was in a junkyard, switched it over 30 years ago and have had no desire to change it.  It is a great wheel!

Enjoy

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

11 hours ago, mbausa2001 said:

I have this wheel on my 1971 '02...,,

IMG_0392.JPG

Just to be clear, the steering wheel in this photo is the standard plastic "bus" wheel with horn buttons on each of the three spokes.  It does have a cover over the rim, but that is not an original feature.

Dan's (OP) "sport" wheel has three exposed steel spokes without horn buttons.  The original rim covering was pleather.  Dan's rim cover looks excellent; I can't tell if it's been re-done (if it's real leather today, it's been re-done; if it's pleather, it's gotta be original: no one is re-doing wrapped rims in genuine pleather!).

There are other threads on these wheels but I suspect we'll never know the true story!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hey Steve, The leather on this wheel is in excellent condition. The guy that I got it from,got it at a boneyard here in Denver area, 20 some odd years ago and, has been stashed away ever since. I also scored an absolute perfect '72/'73 rear bumper and a straight shorty front bumper needing re-plating.

I just rechecked it and it appears to not be leather but "pleather" as you said.

Edited by dq48