• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whereabouts of My Previous '02?

JerryC

I came across this photo of a '68 1600 that I used to own 20 years ago. I have no record of the VIN, but the license plate, the model, and color are the same. This photo came from 2002AD, and they sold the car as "recently restored" in 2008. It looks like it had a lot of work done after my turn, it was kind of rough, but complete, when I sold it. Does anyone know its current whereabouts?

Rogers 1600 Fr.JPG

Rogers%201600%20Fr.JPG

Edited by JerryC
trying to get photo to work

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

The picture shows either a late '67 or a very early '68--no headrests or side reflectors, and an embossed hood trim piece, which was  only fitted to the earliest '68s.  The picture does show US style bumper guards, so it was meant for the US market, even if it were a '67.  Was your car a 6 or 12 volt system?  If six, it's probably a "leftover" '67 sold after the model year changeover date as a '68; if 12 volt, it's most likely an early model year '68, built before 1 Jan '68.

Looks nice in the picture.  I'm sure there are folks on the FAQ that would lust after than embossed nose trim piece; it's been NLA for many years.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wonder if that is Ryan Danco's now.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

It was registered as a '68, and had a 12-volt charging system. I don't believe it had been converted from 6-volts. I didn't have any history on it prior to 1994 when I purchased it from a broker representing an estate. The poor-fitting hood (due to bent hinge mounting surfaces on the hood) that was on it during my ownership had smooth trim on it at the time. It had been repainted, then poorly touched-up with some beige rattle can paint.

Edit: I also recall that this 1600 was fully smog-equipped when I purchased it, and after I sold it. Smog tests were still required on all cars in California at the time. I had to replace the gulp valve at one time, it was quite difficult to find one. This leads me further to believe it really is a 1968, the first year smog pumps and all that stuff were being installed in California.

The engine had been replaced, but I had the original engine that sold with the car.

The interior was chocolate, and there were no headrests on the seats. The seat back angle adjustment only had three positions that were set by rotating a knob on the lower left side of the seat. I seem to recall that the seat backs did not latch in the upright position, either. They could be flipped forward without releasing a latch. I may be incorrect on that, but it sticks in my head for some reason.

I sold the car in 1998, and it somehow made its way to Southern California after that. I heard from a later buyer in the LA area, he used the faq as social media to track me down about 10 years ago. I had provided all my parts receipts to the buyer here. I'm north of San Francisco.

Edited by JerryC

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Sold in a Bring-a-Trailer Auction in March this year. The Seller had the car for 8 years and reportedly lived in Arcadia, CA.

No clue who the new Owner is.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks Les! I found the BAT posting, lots of memories coming back from that. It's nice to know that the car ended up in a good situation. I drove my kids and dogs around in that car for about 4 years, and the kids all remember it. It certainly is looking better than when I sold it, but I like to think I started it on its path to recovery. It ran terrible when I purchased it (especially when cold), although it did make the trip from San Francisco to Santa Rosa okay that day. The mechanical sounds always reminded me of the sounds a sewing machine makes. Maybe that was the long-neck diff and other early style machinery talking.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-bmw-1600/

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Steve, and others interested in VINs history - 1561983 is not in the 2002registry. However, two later VINs, 1562008 and 1562112, are listed as 1967s. I doubt those listings are correct. A BAT person screen-named 02Anders added this to the forum section of the auction:

“The BMW 1600 US VIN 1561983 was manufactured on December 20th, 1967 and delivered on January 10th, 1968 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Manila, paint code 004.”

More details are coming back; the windshield and backlight rubber trim both had algae growing on them when I obtained the car. It must have sat under some trees for a long time. And, yes, I confess to rolling the fenders. A set of wheels I had purchased (more for the newish tires than anything) had so much offset that they rubbed. At the time, no one cared much about 1600s, and you found parts by phoning magazine and newpaper advertisers. If only there had been an faq then...

Edited by JerryC

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

11 minutes ago, HBChris said:

The 2002 Registry uses uses build year, not model year, that is why the years appear wrong.

What Chris said, Jerry!  And BMW Archives, similarly, uses the build year and not the model year.

02Anders is one of THE '02 scholars, including, for instance, author of the '66 Bible on the U.K. forum, and a major contributor to the wheels database on this forum:

http://02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks for filling in some of the blanks. I often missed the 1600, especially when the tii that replaced it was acting up. The 1600 feels lighter and more tossable than the larger engine version, for some reason. It doesn't really make sense, but maybe it felt more balanced or something. Anyway, I'm just happy my old 1600 found a good home.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now