• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Great 123Ignition Groupd Purchase - Update: 11/28/16 INFORMATION COLLECTIVE

Captain Manly

Just a recap, I heard from the manufacturer and there have been over 40 units sold so far with 12 days remaining. 

I was thinking that once we get all of our respective units in our soon to be greasy hands that we set up an "Information Collective" on all thing 123Ignition, including installation, downloading applications, tuning, trouble shooting, and final results.

Maybe if we can get the web master to set up a topic tab to put information for everyone to access.

Your thoughts?

Justin

Installed mine. Bluetooth version in 75 automatic.

They, 123ignitionshop, have a video on Utube which was not that helpful. I also bought a fresh Bosch coil. Negative earth ground, red to pos on the coil, black to negative, and blue to ground.

The advance curve I needed inserted itself and I was off and going. I don't know where it came from, but seems to work well.

I am curious to see how close the temp gauge of the distributor on the dashboard of the ap corresponds with the coolant temp of the engine.

Great support from the company. Heidi promptly answered all my questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, frankg said:

Installed mine. Bluetooth version in 75 automatic.

They, 123ignitionshop, have a video on Utube which was not that helpful. I also bought a fresh Bosch coil. Negative earth ground, red to pos on the coil, black to negative, and blue to ground.

The advance curve I needed inserted itself and I was off and going. I don't know where it came from, but seems to work well.

I am curious to see how close the temp gauge of the distributor on the dashboard of the ap corresponds with the coolant temp of the engine.

Great support from the company. Heidi promptly answered all my questions.

Is a timing light necessary to find TDC for the install?

-

Is a timing light necessary to find TDC for the install?

We didn't use one, and maybe that wasn't smart, but my engine is extremely difficult to find timing references.

We rotated the motor by hand so the rotor pointed at the #1 cylinder on the distributor just after the compression stroke. You can kind of feel the motor is hard to turn, compression, and then the rotor "jumps" quickly once the piston starts back down. Back up slightly and you should have it. This was about the 6 o'clock position in the distributor. See the video. My goal was to put the new distributor in EXACTLY the way the old one came out.

I very carefully extracted the old distributor. Be aware the rotor "unwinds" CCW about 120 degrees when you pull the distributor up. I very carefully inserted the new distributor the same way, and it seated right at 6 o'clock. This is not well covered in the video.

Looking back we should have shot a timing light on the marks before, and now would have been the time to make sure the timing was where is was before starting. It probably needs to be reset, so the next sunny day, I may spend finding my marks and see how close they are to where they should be.

I am not a mechanic and don't recommend doing what we did. I did have a mechanic friend help, so I am a little assured we did a little something right! Ed makes it look so easy on the video!

I am anxious to hear from knowledgeable mechanics on this subject...

Some tips I can pass along from seeing several 123s installed. 

Connect + and - directly to the coil, not some other ignition-on power source. 

When using the Bluetooth version, keep only one device in range of the unit, initially. Darrin experienced some erratic accessibility at MidAm. If I remember correctly, he had downloaded the tune software onto his phone and iPad and the dizzy was confused which device to talk to... Once he got one device talking, the problem cleared up. 

I personally like to confirm how the dizzy is set using a timing light. You know the data points, go to a certain rpm and dial your timing light to the programmed curve #, and confirm the mark is where it should be.

Keep in mind that stock dizzies were installed referenced to TDC (or 3 degrees) for start-up then timing was set according to the marks by a timing light (the manuals express these settings as a range to allow for individual engine's characteristics). Applying  this additional advance gave the full advance to the mechanical curve. If you are loading a stock curve into the 123, then you will need to time the engine accordingly. Of course, the 123 can be programmed to accommodate the full advance curve...your choice. 

Get to know the "rpm stopwatch" feature. This is like having your own dynamometer for fine tuning the ignition curve to your vehicle. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

• 1 month later...

I am interested in finding out more info re the "rpm stopwatch" method of fine tuning my advance curve. Can someone point me in the right direction, please? I have looked through 123ignition's info and didn't see it. Thanks!