• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust leak in the cabin ?

deschodt

59 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

I don't think so.  They're getting pricey on the used market here.

Good to know reproduction replacements are available.  I've seen cracked crummy ones go for 2-3x the W&N price.  Of course S&H will get you, so go for a large order!

Part Number    51711801168
Part Name    NLACAP

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I drove home and again, 0 ppm of CO at city speeds. But on the freeway, window up and down, I got between 20 and 35 PPM...

Once home, I quickly opened the trunk and threw the CO-meter in there for 2 minutes... Once I opened the trunk, 130 PPM !!!! 

Yeah, it's from the trunk !!! I have no speaker holes, so I will look around for stuff to seal and also seal the trunk better... The seal just sits around the trunk lip, lightly glued, it's not "seated" tongue in groove style into the lip but sites outside the lip. Is that how it should be ? I got it back like that post repaint, I don't recall how it was before. Seal looks good but for all I know installed wrong..Also I adjusted the lid forward a bit, I think it sat too far back... Will try more sealing material on the lid also... Easily rechecked with that CO detector ;-)  Thanks guys ! 

Edited by deschodt

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

There is a test you can do with a dollar bill, where you close the trunk on the bill and try and slide it, to see if the seal is pinching it, or not.  As mentioned above, the sheet metal that the seal is on can be deformed over time and not put pressure on the seal when the lid is down.  To fix it, you merely bend it back up a bit.  

• Like 1

Figured it out... post resto they reassembled the latch very loosely. It locked the trunk but not tight enough... the nuts were barely tight enough and everything moved...
I moved things around and readjusted 10 times. Shimmed a little - It compresses the seal a lot more now... more testing with the CO detector to come. Makes sense because this was never an issue before...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, JohnH said:

An interesting discussion. Out of interest, has anyone wool tufted the rear end to see aerodynamic air flow?

I've not, but with the tail profile and upright greenhouse of these cars, I can only imagine lots of low pressure zones that readily sweep exhaust up into and around the trunk seal area.

Josh (in Dallas)

'72 tii

• 2 weeks later...

I used to own 356s so I know old horsehair, trust me...

I bought a smoke machine (cheap magician thing) and smoked my trunk till it looked like an episode of "tales from the crypt", nothing visibly escaped inside or out but in hindsight, the noxious fumes only get sucked in the cabin at speed with the window down (vacuum), so I did not test right... Lazy, thought the trunk seal was the only possibility ! 

I am down to 20-25 PPM of CO now, from 35+ before... from a tighter trunk seal...

I think I found out where the rest comes from...Foolishly I forgot to plug the extra holes in the rear piece where the European plate would screw into... I'll tape those over and retest... kinda fun to drive around with a CO tester ;-)

Edited by deschodt

I would also check the gas sending unit seal and rubber fuel hoses there as well as the vent line for your gas filler tube.  Doesn't take much time to check these out.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

23 hours ago, HBChris said:

I would also check the gas sending unit seal and rubber fuel hoses there as well as the vent line for your gas filler tube.  Doesn't take much time to check these out.

Gas sender O-ring is on order since it was cheap - but i'm smelling exhaust, not gas - as well as front hood side seals which I had no idea even existed until today (never had them, was fine before). So those 3 are not "it" but since I was shopping.... 

It's definitely from the trunk or shifter seal but 95% sure trunk. Last night the car peaked at 41 PPM of carbon monoxide which will not kill me for a 30 minute drive ( I checked) but it's not cool.... The trunk peaked at 160 and triggered the sensor alarm !  I think my trunk seal is installed wrong... My problem is lack of reference !    

Could someone with a factory-like install take a close up of their trunk seal please? Mine's been reglued on the outside of the lip, in other words, no part of the seal's groove straddle that metal lip - the lip is just used as a dam for the seal, I *think* that lip should be inserted in a groove of the seal - which would make the seal ride higher. Painters probably reglued it wrong - possibly upside down too - and I don't know better - my car never smelled before the paint job... I also ordered plumber's putty, wurth glue, 3M glue cleaner, an assortment of plugs in all sizes, and will stuff smelly scented trees in the trunk and go for another drive...

Anyone that has a close up pic - I'd really appreciate that - been collecting some on google photos but they're not really upclose. 

Edited by deschodt

The lip goes into a groove in the rubber. I don't have a factory seal, I have Uro which lies flatter. The sealing lip should stand up quite prominently and face outwards. Sorry, no picture to hand. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Just to confirm...your tailpipe is at least flush with your bumper outer edge... right? 

If all your seals are in place you should not have this issue.  Sounding more like an exhaust system leak under the car.

Edit: I looked for some seal pictures.  These are the only ones I have.  Hope they help.  You can enlarge to see more seal detail.

Trunk2.jpg

Trunk Seal Edge.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Simply augmenting Paul's photos -- which, by accident, have a couple of beautifully-refinished tii steelies on display!

These were all taken in August 1983.

Regards,

Steve

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)