• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shell Help!

andernamen

On Wednesday, December 07, 2016 at 0:19 PM, andernamen said:

I'm afraid project is too big.  How hard is it to wire a car from scratch? 

A ground up build is a very big job, but fun and educational if you are so inclined. As a bonus, you'll end up with a lot of new tools if you don''t have them already (welding setup, air compressor, air tools, and a broad assortment of other items). It depends on your skill level and desire for fit and finish. I would figure at least a few thousand hours, and that's without building an engine.

As far as wiring harnesses, I built a new one for my '74 track car last year. I used all mil-spec wire and was able to eliminate almost every push-on connector. I wanted screw terminals as vibration is an issue for my application. A good terminal crimper is $100 or more, and different crimpers are needed for different types of electrical connectors. It was not cheap, but now I have the tools and knowledge--planning to do a new wiring harness for my '69 perhaps next winter.

I got the inspiration for my harness for the one my builder made for my electronic injection slide throttle. He builds wiring harness for professional motorsports applications. Here's a great resource to give you an idea of how far you can go:

Professional Mil-Spec Motorsport ECU Wiring Harness Construction

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

Best of luck on the journey--Fred

--Fred

'74tii (Colorado) track car

'69ti (Black/Red/Yellow) rolling resto track car

'73tii (Fjord....RIP)

IF you don't mind taking your time and have a good resource vehicle to look at, you can do anything.  The wiring on these cars is pretty simple but since your car is a bare shell, you don't know if the PO made any modifications to the wiring nor made any notes (that they could pass on to you).  Body and paint are things I cannot do.  The rest is pretty simple.  Find someone close to you with an 02 and make some friends for assistance. 

This is the entire wiring harness from my 69.

IMG_9341_zps10baa282.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

4 hours ago, FB73tii said:

A ground up build is a very big job, but fun and educational if you are so inclined. As a bonus, you'll end up with a lot of new tools if you don''t have them already (welding setup, air compressor, air tools, and a broad assortment of other items). It depends on your skill level and desire for fit and finish. I would figure at least a few thousand hours, and that's without building an engine.

As far as wiring harnesses, I built a new one for my '74 track car last year. I used all mil-spec wire and was able to eliminate almost every push-on connector. I wanted screw terminals as vibration is an issue for my application. A good terminal crimper is $100 or more, and different crimpers are needed for different types of electrical connectors. It was not cheap, but now I have the tools and knowledge--planning to do a new wiring harness for my '69 perhaps next winter.

I got the inspiration for my harness for the one my builder made for my electronic injection slide throttle. He builds wiring harness for professional motorsports applications. Here's a great resource to give you an idea of how far you can go:

Professional Mil-Spec Motorsport ECU Wiring Harness Construction

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

Best of luck on the journey--Fred

Hey do you think it would be possible to give a "how to" for the rest of us that would like to use a modern harness in our cars?  A step by step with photos would be pretty nice for the rest of us to do an upgrade. Would love to take a JEGs or painless and try and get it in my 75....someday....really....sort of....in the future....

Edited by Vicleonardo1
punctuation

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.