• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Header Ceramic Coating? Worth it?

jrhone

I was watching wheeler dealers and they had a set of headers ceramic coated. The claim was the temps under the hood could be reduced by 20% and that alone could result in a 6% hp increase. My headers are shabby looking and I was going to paint them but for $150 it sounds like ceramic coating would be the better option. Snake oil or true advantages?  Thoughts? 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Not sure of the HP gain claim, yet the temp will be a little lower and the pipes won't get the 'rainbow' heat discoloration. The E9 guys ceramic coat anything they can.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

You wont have hp gains worth measuring, but the heat insulation is worth it.  

Data point: I did a stock vs. uncoated shorty vs coated shorty test on my 2002 four or five years ago.  Negligible difference between stock and uncoated, but the ceramic coated version actually caused a very noticeable drop.  I don't remember the exact number but it was somewhere between %10-%20.  For the ultimate effect, you'd want to do the swain-coating but the finish does not keep nice for long.  

Even on the new fancy race cars here we will ceramic coat exhaust sections that route near bodywork or rubber.

Edited by AceAndrew

I watched the same show and was wondering about their performance claims.  

Thanks for the explanations.  Nice car when they got done with it.

1975 non-purist driver M42 Turbo, Hurricane a/c, and all sorts of cool stuff

1976 2002 sold, 1970 2002 sold, 1969 1600 sold

Watched it too. Claimed  6-7% hp increase seemed a bit over the top.  Geez, if it was that good, and for only $125!  Anyway, seems like the temp reduction is worthwhile.  I am turboing an M42 with an updated kit from Jake, and am having the closer components coated.  Hopefully will keep it cool enough so the bodywork doesn't get affected.  :)

Chris

Ray "Scope Creep" Koke suggested I cera-coat my header while Ihad the '71 torn apart for 5 speed swap.  I like it.  ...or was it his suggestion to lighten the flywheel?  no matter, both great suggestions which I heeded. :) 

Mine came back from the coater shrink-wrapped and they suggested getting the header mostly installed before unwrapping it.  Seems the coating can be scuffed/scratched easily; it probably doesn't hurt it much, but it will look like crap after banging it around trying to fit it up through the front suspension bits... 

I'll likely do it to the H&B header going on the CS B)

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

2 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

They got a steal-deal on the headers - maybe it was an advertising deal.  I had my M30 cast iron exhaust manifolds treated by Jet-Hot & it was >$200 10 years ago.  https://www.jet-hot.com/our-coatings/

+1

I agree, the big shops are getting $300 and more to prep and ceramic coat a header.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

5 hours ago, jrhone said:

I was watching wheeler dealers and they had a set of headers ceramic coated. The claim was the temps under the hood could be reduced by 20% and that alone could result in a 6% hp increase. My headers are shabby looking and I was going to paint them but for $150 it sounds like ceramic coating would be the better option. Snake oil or true advantages?  Thoughts? 

Not having viewed the program, I can't speak to the performance and temperature claims.  However, an alternative to coating would be header wrap.  And it will reduce underhood temperatures, but how much might depend upon the installation.  Aside from cosmetics, the downside of wraps might be moisture retention and promoting corrosion.  However, this can be deterred by painting the exhaust and not habitually washing the engine.

3_11031.jpg5_11031.jpg 

9 minutes ago, avoirdupois said:

Aside from cosmetics, the downside of wraps might be moisture retention and promoting corrosion.  However, this can be deterred by painting the exhaust and not habitually washing the engine. 

Such a nice way of saying your header will rot!  ;)

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

There are also potential drawbacks to coated headers.  As others have suggested, they are not necessarily impervious to the elements or rough handling and durability may or may not be related to cost.

I inherited an older set of pipes for an M30 engine.  They came in two sections.  The rear section of three pipes remained a pristine flat gray.  The other forward set developed spider webbed cracking laden with rust and discoloration where the coating seemed to have delaminated from the substrate.  Not sure if the differences were related to poor coating materials, poor application (too thick), rough handling or possibly a combination of all.  I suspect the coating did not expand and contract at the same rate as the base metal, but it was a long time ago.  To be clear, the coating was probably applied 10 years earlier, so there may be marked advancements in materials since then.  Any doubts regarding the structural integrity of the header pipes and the coating may prove short lived.

I called a place down here called Embee. They seem to be the place a lot of hot rod guys in OC go to. They quoted me $150 in the color I wish. Anywhere from various shades of flat or gloss grey of silver to gold. He suggested Gold. Then laughed. I asked about performance claims and he said he didn't think there would be much if any but under hood temps would be reduced based on the airflow of the engine. Some cars see more benefits than others. He did say that the pipes internally retain more heat and that helps with exhaust flow and burning of excess gasses in the exhaust.  Turnaround is 1-3 days depending on their workload at the time. 

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

When I first got the Turbo back from Korman, the header had been ceramic coated. It took only about 25 hours of operation to burn it off. In checking with the applicator, when told what the application was, he said no way it would last. I then sent the header out to KECO Coatings  in Indianapolis. They do a lot of Indy cars and that coating held up perfectly. I think 10yrs ago it was about $250. Dark gray in color. 

4 hours ago, zinz said:

Ray "Scope Creep" Koke suggested I cera-coat my header while Ihad the '71 torn apart for 5 speed swap.  I like it.  ...or was it his suggestion to lighten the flywheel?  no matter, both great suggestions which I heeded. :) 

Mine came back from the coater shrink-wrapped and they suggested getting the header mostly installed before unwrapping it.  Seems the coating can be scuffed/scratched easily; it probably doesn't hurt it much, but it will look like crap after banging it around trying to fit it up through the front suspension bits... 

I'll likely do it to the H&B header going on the CS B)

Ed

Heheh. I just looked. Mine was done by Air Born coatings in 2007, for $155...

http://www.jetcoat.com/

Still looks okay.

(yes I plan to pull and re-seal the front covers shortly, thanks for not mentioning my oily frame rail ;-) )

IMAG4801.jpg

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.