• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Specification Front Axle (sub-frame)

Buckeye

In process of rehabbing front suspension and not sure what is the correct torque specification to fasten front axle beam (sub-frame) to frame rails. Haynes manual says 52+4 ft-lbs. and BMW Service book does not exactly uses similar term "front axle beam/sub-frame to frame rails", but it says "Front Axle Beam to Engine Mounting". So like to ask experts which one is correct?, and if neither one, what should be? I have included front axle torque specification here for reference and verification.

Thanks,

FA

front axle beam (sub-frame) torque specs.PNG

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

42 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Did you take a look at the FAQ torque listing in the archives?  I just looked at my printed copy and it only has the rear subframe to body spec (about 100 lb-ft).  I know I have this somewhere 

I did and no indication of sub-frame to frame rail there

13 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Haynes 2002 manual shows front cross member bolts at 52lb/ft.

haynes 320 manual says front cross member bolts at 133-145 lb/ft

I recall Haynes calls for 52+4 ft-lb, and tried it on one bolt, but felt like I couldn't reach final torque (click), so I stopped.

So still looking in the BMW service manual, but dice. I have read people sheared off bolts at this assembly joint before and I want to avoid that.  

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

A lot of the bolts will shear when they are loosend due to rust, when installing them they are a tight fit and any miss alignment of the subframe or body due to accidents will cause one or more of them to cross thread with disaster following shortly.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

here are the facts found regarding sub-frame bolts: they are M10x30 and M10x50 grade 8.8

According to Tightening Torque Value chart in the Introduction section of BMW 2002 Service Repair Manual

torque value for a M10 thread bolt grade 8.8 is 4.3+0.5 mkp or 30.96+3.6 lb/ft

My conclusion is that the values given in Haynes manual (52+4 lb/ft) is incorrect.

Thanks for all your inputs.

bolts torque.PNG

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10