• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 245 - Oil Fill plug

rapandi

Hi,

Something that has been at the back of mind has been the fill plug on my gearbox. There is nothing wrong with it except that I want to change it to the protruding hex head type (male version) as shown below. Main reason being it is tricky to get my ratchet to sit between the existing filler plug and the transmission wall of the car (limited room).

My question - Anyone know where I can get my hands on one of these type of filler plugs? Did any of the other BMWs have it that I can hunt down? Any info is appreciated.

Raj

DSC_0360.JPG

DSC_0361.JPGDSC_0364.JPGDSC_0365.JPG

I want this:

4501.jpg

Edited by rapandi

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

What trans is that, my fill hole is on the right side.

Solved my space problem, no interference with the exhaust either.  I use a hole blank to cover the sheet metal hole and let the carpet drop over the area as normal.

OD Trans Fill Hole 002a.JPG

OD Trans Fill Hole 003a.JPG

OD Trans Fill Hole 004a.JPG

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

6 hours ago, Mike87 said:

If you cannot find one, you could always make one. Just take the existing one and weld in a short piece of hex stock.

Thanks Mike - I actually never thought of that idea. I will keep it in the back of my mind as a worst case scenario

3 hours ago, jimk said:

What trans is that, my fill hole is on the right side.

Solved my space problem, no interference with the exhaust either.  I use a hole blank to cover the sheet metal hole and let the carpet drop over the area as normal.

Jim - I have a 245 Getrag Dogleg with a close ratio. My fill plug is on the left of the car (Passenger side for us in Aus). Cutting that hole in the trans tunnel is actually a pretty neat idea. 

4 minutes ago, HBChris said:

They are 24x1.5 and should be easy to find. 

Yeah I am going to try and see if I can get one online somewhere.

Raj

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Golf Yellow

I got the idea from someone on here don't remember who. I tightened 2 nuts in to each other on 1 very short bolt. I use it as a key with  wrench.

That hole on the side of the tunnel is sweet, if I tried that I'd prob end up with a couple of holes because I'd screw up the measurement.

picked up what i thought was a sound Verona Red '76

The Refresh Blog: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/155-76-verona-red-refresh/

• 4 years later...

That hole idea is brilliant ? 
I am not sure what gearbox I have, it is a 5 speed in a 73 2002 and tight and with the exhaust below - came from a later car.. But the filler plug is on the right side of the car, passenger (for a US car). That was tightened by king kong himself and as you know there is no room to put a regular socket/ratchet. Getting that off was fun also. I ended up inserting the 17mm hex "male socket" into the plug,  and applying a very thin 17mm wrench on the partial hex "threads" sticking out of the fill plug... It was a challenge... 

For strength, I used a cheater pipe (not easy to find a small one that is wide enough to swallow a 17mm wrench), so I ended up doing it on a lift so I'd have room. It worked, but jeez...  The hole idea, clever!!! (I'm always trying to close up holes on that car, never thought of making one).  I'd definitely also want the plug pictured above,  the one that is male, not female... 

--------------------------------------------------------------

73 inka 2002 w/ fuel injection & 5 speed, LSD

Just get the late e30 or e36 plug and it should fit perfectly. It looks like the one above. There are 2 kinds, one with the magnet for the drain and another is a fil plug without magnet, they interchange. I believe 17mm wrench fits them.