• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water pump intentionally leaks when new?

Simeon

A few months back I installed a new Graf water pump. No dramas on installation, test run and everything was fine. A few days later after taking the car for a run, I noticed coolant leaking from the bottom of the pump.

Thinking I had stuffed something up, I got a new gasket and prepared to dig in. While I waited for the gasket to arrive I noticed that I had no more leaks. I even read a thread on here regarding an 'intermittent leak' from a water pump, so I thought I might be better swapping the pump again. There seems to be too many stories of unreliable pumps. 

I bought a new HEPU water pump off IMG_0742.JPGeBay and when I read the instructions I found this:

IMG_0743.JPG

Pump

IMG_0744.JPG

so, does that mean that there is a seal in the water pump that needs to swell up in contact with the coolant or similar?

I guess that I will keep an eye on my existing pump for now and swap it again if I see it leak any more coolant. I suppose having a new one on the shelf should ward that off. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

Same thing happened to me...sort of. Mine ran for about 3 weeks before it started to leak, driving occasionally.  I replaced it with another Graf pump and gasket and it hasn't leaked again yet. Its been a couple of months now.

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

I too had this problem. The pump was a year or so old, and having arrived at the 2009 Vintage it decided to pee on the ground.

I never got around to changing it so it's still on the car now; I have never noticed it leak since.

DSC_5172.JPG

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

If the leak is coming through the weep hole--located at the 6 o'clock position directly below the pump shaft, at least on an old(er) pump it's a sign of the seal wearing out/failing.  Inside the pump there's a spring-loaded seal that bears against the pump's shaft that keeps coolant away from the pump's bearings.  I've not had a 2002 pump apart so I don't know if this is a lip seal (similar to a crankshaft seal) or a carbon flange.  Regardless, it really shouldn't leak at all.  

I'd keep an eye on the new pump and see if it continues to weep.  A good test would be to drive the car around with the radiator cap tight and check for a leak.  If you find a dribble from the weep hole, then loosen the cap, thus relieving pressure in the system and see if the dribble stops.  If it does, I would suspect a faulty seal, which will eventually cause bearing failure.  Too bad modern pumps don't have grease fittings--my '59 Renault has one, and I've never had a water pump wear out.

So far I've only had dribbles when the pump was near the end of its life; you can tell the bearings are going out if the fan has axial play--i.e. you can grab the end of a blade and rock it back and forth.  

cheers

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Had my water pump replaced two years ago and there was no weep at all after installation.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Water pumps can do strange things and still not leak, but they're not supposed to leak. Better get a backup unit on order now.

I needed to change the alternator on my Chrysler last summer (really noisy bearings), and by tugging on the water pump "because I was already in there" I discovered an extremely wobbly pump shaft - one of the worst I've seen. Despite that, there were no signs of any leakage having occurred. I replaced the pump anyway.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

'trust but verify' simply means you don't trust.

And I wouldn't trust a seal that didn't.

Not with an engine.  Hepu's not going to buy you a new one of those...

But hey, I use Graf pumps...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 3 years later...

While removing my brand new tropical fan for an electric fan install, I noticed my brand new Graf water pump shaft had a very small amount of in and out movement.  I couldn’t feel any movement side to side, but it is very hard to tell.

Does anyone know if this is normal? If it is a problem, I want to swap it out while the radiator is out of the car. Fortunately, I purchased it at AutohausAZ, given their 3 year warranty.

No water in the engine yet in the engine and I have not started the engine yet since the rebuild.

Thank you,

Michael

Edited by RMBaiada

On 12/20/2016 at 10:26 AM, 02Les said:

I too had this problem. The pump was a year or so old, and having arrived at the 2009 Vintage it decided to pee on the ground.

I never got around to changing it so it's still on the car now; I have never noticed it leak since.

DSC_5172.JPG

Hehe. 3.5 years later and the same water pump is still on the car and never seen it leak again. Perhaps it needed 'running in'?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17