• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 260 with M10

69NEWCLASSNH

A good friend of mine has what I believe to be a Getrag 260 from an old e28 m20 or m30. 

I've done a lot of searching about the 260, but all are about using with an M20 motor.  I've read that there are some clearance issues with the speedo cable and cross members are different, but what about bell housing?  Will it bolt up to the M10?  Any way to make it work? Any known success stories?

If impossible, any M20 guys looking to buy one?  Located in NH - Could ship

IMG_6714.JPG

IMG_6715.JPG

IMG_6718.JPG

IMG_6719.JPG

Just confirmed with VIN number that this came from an e30  - would never work with an M10 since the m20 bell housing is different  - posted in the FS Section if anyone is interested

Vehicle Identification Number WBAAE5409H1691559 
CARFAX Vehicle History Report
Type AE54
Model 325e - USA
Development Code E30
Chassis LIM
Steering LL
Doors 4
Engine M20
Displacement 2.70
Power 0
Drivetrain HECK
Transmission MECH
Color Alpinweiss - 146
Upholstery Schwarz Kunstleder - 0166
Production Plant  
Production Date 1986-07-01

Toby the getrag 265 is the one with the removable bell housing, it was used intermittently in the big 6 cyl cars and the early m-cars, the 260 shown was pretty much used as the other transmission for the 6 cyls they are both pretty good boxes. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Correct at least with out trying to make a adapter plate and why would you when you could potently sell that tranny and get the same one with the bell housing to fit a m10 at the same price. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Nope, M20 and M10 patterns are significantly different.

Ah, 265.  I might have known that once.  

The 260's have been wearing out the 3rd-4th fork, in the racecars- it's aluminum.  

I think racers tend to ride the shifter more, AND they use high- leverage gearlevers...

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

the 265 found in the m30 (that has the same bellhousing pattern as the m10) came in CR and OD flavours, and was also found in the e30 m3. Good strong box, usually without the speedo drive but with the ability to retro fit it. 

This box is quite bit bigger though and requires a taller slightly fatter transmission tunnel in an 02. 

The CR boxes had the dog-leg pattern and are fetching silly money (like anything else s14 related). 

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• 3 years later...

Adding some info to an old post.

The G260/6 from E34 535i bolts up directly to the M10.

I don’t have personal experience with this but the trans is out there and there’s a guy who posted recently on the “BMW m10 engine world” Facebook group about it.

One difference to note when using a big six trans on an M10 is the site for the flywheel timing mark is in a different place on the bell so if you use this as your source for timing, you will have to start using the front cover instead. Or line up TDC up front and mark the flywheel through the bell hole for reference. Not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind. Also, the S14 and '85 E28/24 used the 265 bell with the sensor holes, not necessary for an M10. Let someone who has an S14 pay more for that bell, and use the '81 and earlier either four or five speed M30 bells for the M10. They're more plentiful and cheaper. I have five myself, just piled among the rest of my hoard.

• 2 years later...
On 12/10/2020 at 6:01 AM, 02TurboMI said:

Adding some info to an old post.

The G260/6 from E34 535i bolts up directly to the M10.

I don’t have personal experience with this but the trans is out there and there’s a guy who posted recently on the “BMW m10 engine world” Facebook group about it.

I can confirm this. I have a 260/6 bolted to mine. 

• Like 1